Monday 2 December 2013

Review: Saving Mr. Banks

As soon as I heard about this being made about a year ago, I was super excited to see this.

Not only was it about the making of one of the most successful Disney films of all-time, Mary Poppins. But it has Tom Hanks playing Walt Disney himself where he looks like he was born to play him.
Another great addition was Emma Thompson as P.L Travers, the author of Mary Poppins, who apparantley was quite a character.

After clearing my watery eyes when leaving the screening, I could finally compose myself and have myself smiling all the way home.

I think it is clear to say we might have seen the heart-warming film to be nominated for Best Picture in the Oscars. The magic of Mary Poppins from 1964 still lives on in this amazing story of how author P.L Travers let Walt Disney have the rights to make a film out of her novel. The charm and wit of the film is what people will come away with remembering. Everything about it just makes you want to go back to 17 Cherry Tree Lane and share the adventures that Jane and Michael had with the woman that is practically perfect in every way.

As for the performances, Emma Thompson was simply terrific as Travers. Even though her character is really irritating, Thompson portrayed Travers perfectly as she is determined to have say during the making of the film of her most personal novel.
Hanks is just being Hanks which is always a good thing. As soon as I saw that he was going to play Walt Disney himself, the resemblance was uncanny. Hanks was born to play the most successful man at the Oscars. One surprising performance was Colin Farrell. I won't say who he plays, but once you have seen it, you will realise how important his role was to this film. All the other minor characters contributed well enough to be recognised, especially Jason Schwartzman and B.J Novak as the Sherman brothers and Paul Giamatti as Travers' driver.

However, there are still a few negatives that are worth mentioning. I was expecting a lot more of the making of the film, but it is only a certain bit of the making that they show. I know it is about the relationship between Travers and Disney, but I just would have liked to have seen the people playing Andrews, Van Dyke, Tomlinson and the rest of the cast. Also, it manages to sugarcoat some of the actual true story of how they made Mary Poppins. But nevertheless, what they with did still worked for me and I'm sure many others. What it doesn't tell makes up for the emotional replacement they present.

Even with those disappointing parts, I still feel that is one of the best films of the year. It is bound to get many nominations in the major awards season, which it rightfully deserves. Thompson is surely going to get an Oscar nomination for her standout performance. The whole story is extremely heart-warming and it just reminds how great Mary Poppins really is, and how it can cheer everyone up. This film tells us a much deeper story within the book, and its presentation is just tremendous and it I can see it ending in my top 10 films of 2013.

Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment