Monday 7 April 2014

My Top 10: Films Not In The English Language

For general moviegoers, films not in the English language are usually films they step away from and leave it to the more cultured film fan.
But once you experience some of the best movies from around the world, you become determined to be introduced to every type of film, whatever the language.

Since I started really wanting to watch any sort of films, I have come across some of the most wonderful stories and performances I have ever seen.
This top 10 that I am about to type about I feel is nowhere near set in stone. I have yet to explore every successful film that is not in the English language.
However, this list is still quite impressive and I hope you explore them and it gives you the much needed kick-start in exploring films that are not determined to getting huge takings at the box office, but basically tell great stories that need to be told.

Two films that I just had to mention that did not make my top 10 was The Diving Bell And The Butterfly. A French film that is an incredibly moving re-telling of the true story of journalist Jean-Dominique Bauby. His story is presented in the most amazing way.
Brilliantly captured cinematography, a captivating screenplay and we are left with an experience of the human soul that not a lot will experience.
The other film that I wanted to give an honorable mention is Infernal Affairs.  The film that inspired the Oscar Best Picture winner, The Departed.
The thrilling story about a mole in the police department and an undercover cop.
It is well-made, stylish and extremely entertaining. For many people, they will have seen Martin Scorsese's re-make first. I am one of them, and I can see why Hollywood wanted to re-tell this story and show it to the masses.

Here is my top 10:

10) Battle Royale (Japan) - Known by many as 'the film America would never ever make' this thrilling and original cult classic from Japan wowed me and many audiences around the world.

I have recently re-watched this and it easily holds up. It goes straight into the action and it just does not stop. It is hard to make something so brutal and yet gripping to watch with many interesting characters.

While the mainstream audiences may like similar features like The Hunger Games or The Condemned. Battle Royale makes them look like a fun movie for all the family.

9) City Of God (Brazil) - Only recently seen this. After being a huge hit in 2002, this story about the life in the slums of Brazil has amazed many film lovers over time including myself.
Films like this show that there is real talent outside of the big money-making studios.
It is essential viewing and is one of the few films that would be seen as pure cinema.

8) The Lives Of Others (Germany) - Remember seeing the trailer and instantly wanted to see this. I was not disappointed.

An intelligent thriller set during a time when East Germany was the GDR. Also, this was one of the very few films not in the English language to do well at the major film awards outside of its own category.

7) Seven Samurai (Japan) - A poor village which is attacked by bandits hire seven samurai to help them defend their land.
A 1950's classic that is become a worldwide phenomenon over time also was the film to inspire The Magnificent Seven.

Directed by the amazing and highly acclaimed Akira Kurosawa, this is his masterpiece.

6) Cinema Paradiso (Italy) - I've been wanting to see this for some time, and I am so happy that I finally did.

It tells the story of a man recalling his childhood where he fell in love with movies at his local cinema.

A fantastic story for proper film fans that will make you smile, laugh and cry.
5) Howl's Moving Castle (Japan) - The first of four Studio Ghibli films directed by Hayao Miyazaki in my list.
When it comes to fantasy, Miyazaki and Ghibli certainly know how to succeed within that genre.

It has wizards, witches and even a scarecrow. It will amaze everyone of all ages.

4) Joyeux Noel (France) - Despite some of the film containing people speaking English, this is officially a French film.
Telling the story of the Christmas Day ceasefire in World War I, this touching war drama really got to me.
If you have read any of my other lists, this film has come up a few times and you know how much I like this.

3) Nausicaa Of The Valley Of The Wind (Japan) - The film that made Studio Ghibli come to life, it is still incredible to think that this was made in 1984.
With great imagination and story-telling, Miyazaki shows us a world full of giant creatures, warriors, flying ships and amazing countryside.

Simply astonishing.

2) Princess Mononoke (Japan) - Miyazaki is back with another fantasy filled spectacle.

With Japanese history being known for their spirits, this is filled with spectacular creatures in a troubled world searching for peace.

This might be one of the few Ghibli's that might not instantly be liked by younger viewers.

1) Spirited Away (Japan) - Many people feel this is and could very well end up being Miyazaki and Ghibli's masterpiece.
A 10-year old girl gets caught up in a world of spirits and demons.

We get transported to somewhere that is truly incredible. It left me amazed and in awe of the amount of imagination that can be transformed onto screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment