Sunday 5 July 2015

Review: Terminator Genisys

The film I was most nervous for this summer has arrived.

The reason I was nervous for the fifth Terminator film, was the trailer.
It looked corny and cheesy. It also showed hints that they could very well be erasing the first Terminator by changing the timelines.

This made me nervous as I would probably be angry once I have seen at the cinema.

When the second trailer came out, I had heard that there was a major plot spoiler in it. I know some trailers are known for basically showing the entire movie. So thankfully, I managed to avoid it.
Now that I have seen the film and now the trailer, I cannot believe they showed that! Apparently, the director is not happy with the marketing team as they were not supposed to do that.

I can safely say that going in with low expectations might be the best thing to do for this film. I found to be good mindless fun that any bog-standard summer blockbuster should be.

Even with its flaws and occasional sacrilege to the iconic first two installments, their is a lot of fun and I was never bored.
Rise Of The Machines had a certain charm to it, Salvation had enough CGI action set-pieces to made it watchable. Genisys was a bit of both.

The action was good, the pacing was consistent and there were not any moments that made me get angry at the movie despite the complex use of time-travel.
Like many of the latest additions to franchises, it ran like a greatest hits album. This can be both good and bad. Thankfully I think they got away with all the references that they used, even the use of some famous lines.

The performances were not memorable, but not terrible. Emilia Clarke was solid as Sarah Connor. She was no Linda Hamilton, but she seemed to hold her own for most of the film. The only major drawback was the lack of presence as she did not seem as commanding as Hamilton was.
Schwarzenegger was actually fairly good and I think his performance will be widely seen as understated.
Jai Courtney was as poor as ever. He is as wooden as ever and I think he would have been better cast as a Terminator. As for Jason Clarke, it was perfectly fine but I still don't know how he is getting all these roles. He has not impressed me yet and all of his performances seem to be sub-standard.
A couple of minor roles that I think were wasted were J.K. Simmons and Matt Smith. They are great talents and too give under-used characters was a missed opportunity in my eyes.

It obviously won't be as viewed so many times like James Cameron's features of the franchise. But you should not expect that. Take it for what it is and you will it as pleasant and mildly enjoyable as I did.
There is a lot to get your head round. I'm pretty sure a lot of it will not fit right in terms of movie time-travel law. But I don't think that will get in the way of your enjoyment of the on-screen action.
The high points is the opening 30 minutes, the chemistry between Schwarzenegger and Emilia Clarke and pacing of it that manages to never fall into any moments of dullness.

I can sort of see why Cameron sees this as the true sequel to Judgment Day. However I would rank it slightly behind Rise Of The Machines, and comfortably ahead of Salvation.

Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment