Friday 15 January 2016

Review: Creed

I definitely would not call myself a Rocky fan. When I heard that the first Rocky film was a Best Picture winner, I was shocked to hear that. The film is really good, but not award winning by any means.

As for the rest of the films, the second one is fine, and I could happily never watch the rest again. When hearing about this latest installment, I wasn't originally going to see it as I am not fussed on the franchise.

However with the huge amount of buzz coming from America, I felt that I could not miss this to see what all the fuss is about.
The trailer did not entice me. So I was going in with low expectations.

I can safely, that I now feel 'Rockyfied'. The entire film brought me right back into the first Rocky film, but with a feel for the new generation.

1976 saw the rags to riches story of Rocky Balboa. Fast forward to 2015, we now have a young man looking to find his place in the world whilst holding the name of possibly the greatest boxer of all-time.
It is a wonderful crowd-pleaser with enough classic sport movie cliches and heart-warming moments to make those similar themes still feel emotional.

Director Ryan Coogler has made a film that feels like a love letter to the first Rocky that contains a lot of passion and poetry that gives this series a refreshing look and hope for sequels.

Michael B. Jordan is a great lead and I feel he can give us a new film sporting hero. Sylvester Stallone is well deserve of the awards buzz he is getting. A bit like Harrison Ford in 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens', you felt like we were seeing the character and not the actor just here to get the pay-cheque. Tessa Thompson gave us a nice under-stated performance as the love interest as well.

The only negative worth mentioning is the final fight (as there always is). It still does have that pantomime feel to it, which was one problem I always had with these films. But I was happy to let it go as they deserved to go that way as the build-up to that was well done enough for them to go back to that style of Boxing we saw in the previous features.
Thankfully, there is one fight scene halfway through that is executed so well that I want future ones to try and be as different as that. Once you see it, I hope you can see what I mean.

The only bit in the technical side that I want to mention is the soundtrack. It gave nice subtle tones of the original themes that had smiling and getting goosebumps, which I never thought would happen.

In the end, this is clearly a re-boot of the original, but for a new generation. I think I may also fit into that category and I must say that I am now excited for the next installment.
Creed may resemble the first Rocky, but it is the right content that still makes it exciting viewing. We see its charm, honesty and struggle of our main characters that made the Rocky from 39 years ago so successful. Unlike Star Wars: The Force Awakens, the execution of the nostalgic and plot familiarities is executed much better in this one compared to the seventh chapter of the space opera saga. With some people saying the previous film Rocky Balboa was the perfect send-off to the character, Creed is that film for me and now we now have a changing of the guard.
It just makes you want to go running up some steps and punching the air in delight all over again.

Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment