Monday 29 August 2016

Review: Sausage Party

I have been quite excited about this one.
The trailer completely caught me off guard. I had no idea it was aimed for adults and that there would be swearing and quite gory moments (in a comedic sense) despite it being an animation. I was certainly excited to see where they would go with this, as I was thinking this could be the Toy Story for adults.

Throughout the film, its intentions are certainly aimed to be controversial. While it may not be a laugh a minute. There is a steady amount of laughter and the rest is covered by a fair amount of religious, social and political satire.
Some stuff goes down towards the end that was completely ridiculous, insane and over-the-top. I laughed at some of it, and the rest was either silly or getting pretty uncomfortable to watch (in a funny way).

Like in the trailer, I liked the concept. It's simple and definitely has the potential to be great and pokes fun at animated films in general. The swearing in the trailer is definitely a hook. But in the film, it does eventually feel like they are just swearing for the sake of it and not much of it means anything. It felt like the writers just went "hey, let's just think of the worst insults ever and use them throughout the movie, because we can." Thankfully, some of those moments still made me laugh.

The voice acting was pretty good on the whole. Seth Rogen was perfect for the lead role. His voice most definitely suited the character. Kristen Wiig was o.k. But I think her voice work did not sound that special. Michael Cera was a nice surprise as I usually find him quite repulsive. Jonah Hill was as good as you know he can be. I did not recognise Edward Norton and Bill Hader until I saw their names in the credits. They both did a good job.  Salma Hayek did well in her minor role, and there were many others that played their parts well.

While it is entertaining. I think it just was being raunchy for the sake of the gimmick, as you don't see it often in an animated film. There are still some shocking and gross-out moments that made me laugh out loud and my overall view of it was a fun one.
I liked the animation, the pacing is pretty good, there were lots of memorable characters and most of the jokes worked.
It is not as consistently entertaining as the trailer suggests. But it is good solid film that is worth your money.

Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment