Tuesday 6 September 2016

My Top 10: Adam Sandler Films

Adam Sandler has become a very successful actor and producer. After a promising beginning with TV in the late 80's. It was not until the mid 90's where Sandler started to breakthrough on the big screen. For the next decade, the Brooklyn native was constantly making solid comedies that were pleasing the majority of the general public, with the occasional serious role.
Sadly from I reckon 2007, Sandler has been on quite a downfall with pretty much all of his films being not that good or terrible. Despite a couple of surprise successes with the Hotel Transylvannia franchise as the voice of the main character, Sandler has slowly lost faith with the general public, and it looks as if his career could be done.
However, a lot of us remain hopeful for a successful comeback and we can get back to the laughter that made him.

Out of his 52 films, I have seen 26 of them. Judging by the reviews, the only film that I have yet to see that could disturb my top 10 is Reign Over Me. With that mind, I will rank all of the films that I have seen, and give a short review for each of my top 10:

26) Jack And Jill
25) Grown Ups 2
24) Zookeeper
23) Just Go With It
22) Grown Ups
21) Coneheads
20) Pixels
19) Hotel Transylvania 3: A Monster Vacation
18) Bedtime Stories
17) You Don't Mess With The Zohan
16) I Now Pronounce You Chuck And Larry
15) That's My Boy
14) Mr. Deeds
13) The Waterboy
12) Funny People
11) Billy Madison

10) 50 First Dates - Sandler's on-screen relationship with Drew Barrymore has become a common one, and this is one of their better ones.

It sees a guy struggling to find a girl that is not looking for commitment. Until he thinks he find the girls of his dreams, until he discovers she has short-term memory loss and always forgets him the next day.

It's a solid entertaining film that makes good use of the premise.

9) Anger Management - Jack Nicholson teams up with Sandler in this quirky comedy about a businessman that is wrongly sentenced to an anger management program.

The result is quite entertaining and gives you a solid amount of laughs throughout.

If you liked something Analyze This or Analyze That, then you will likely a similar enjoyment from this feature.


8) Little Nicky - I know this isn't highly rated with many, but I found this to be lots of fun.

It sees the devil's third son ordered to bring his two older brothers back to Hell whilst their causing havoc on Earth.

I think I probably saw this when I was the right age. I can remember so many quotable lines and they still make me laugh today. It's also amazing seeing the cast-list now.

7) Big Daddy - A lazy graduate adopts a kid to impress his girlfriend. It ends up with hilarious results.

It has a great mix of comedy and touching drama. I laugh so many times every time I see this. The gags are memorable and the execution of the emotional moments are really good as it shows how much you care for the characters.



6) Happy Gilmore - Probably the film people associate with Sandler the most.

In order to save his Grandmother's house, an Ice Hockey reject turns his skills into the sport of Golf. The slapstick and general silliness of it is too hard to resist laughing.

It also manages to create a memorable moment that many golfers always try to re-create.



5) The Wedding Singer - The first of three Sandler films where he teams up with Drew Barrymore.

It sees a singer meet a waitress whilst they are both engage to different people. Fortune comes into play to help them discover each other.

One of the better rom-coms in a genre that I struggle to find good ones in.



4) The Longest Yard - The re-make of the 1974 original, sees Sandler take the lead as a quarter-back now in prison. But he is challenged by the warden to make a team of inmates to take on the guards in a game of American Football.

The gags will please everyone. But knowing American Football does help and thankfully I do. I find this really enjoyable and a great watch when you want to switch your brain off.



3) Hotel Transylvania - Easily the best film involving Sandler for the last decade.

It sees Dracula operate a monster-only hotel away from the humans. But when his son gets to know a teenage girl more, the overprotective Dracula will do anything to keep his boy away from humans.

This delightful animation surprised me in every way.

2) Click - One that I enjoyed way more then I expected.

It sees an overworked architect be give a universal remote  that allows him to fast-forward and rewind his life. However, complications arise that start to affect him.

I am happy to admit that I cried when watching this film. It sounds like others have, and at the same scene.


1) Punch-Drunk Love - The film many cling onto as the Sandler performance that we want to see more of.

Director Paul Thomas Anderson sees a troubled supplier of novelty items begin a possible romance whilst being exorted by two individuals.

It has great performances and a very unique story that only Paul Thomas Anderson could create.

No comments:

Post a Comment