Wednesday 25 January 2017

My Top 10: Most Anticipated Films Of 2017

It's been a bizarre year for movie in 2016. Most of the year was disappointing, especially for the blockbusters. Then it was only until towards of the end of the year where a hefty amount of really good films were being released.

So we are now in 2017, and hopes of some highly memorable blockbusters are extremely high. Especially when there are plenty of potential excellent ones scheduled for release within the next 12 months.

Before I mention some of my most anticipated films, I must mention some of the 2016 films that have yet to be released on my very own British shores. The remeaining 2016 films that I am still excited to see is Matthew McConaughey's latest film 'Gold', Jeff Nichol's newest feature 'Loving', the new Ang Lee film 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk', Oscar front-runner 'Fences', Ben Wheatley's newest project 'Free Fire', another Oscar contender 'Hidden Figures', 'The Founder' which shows the origins of McDonalds, powerful drama 'Christine', Paul Verhoeven's 'Elle', the new Gael Garcia Bernal drama 'Neruda', Chan-Wook Park's beautiful looking 'The Handmaiden', Jessica Chastain's 'Miss Sloane' and animation 'The Red Turtle', which is being co-produced by Studio Ghibli.
One other 2016 film I am unsure to see that is yet to be release is 'The Great Wall'. While it may look nice and contains Matt Damon. A part of me thinks this won't be that good at all.

Now I'm going into 2017. So far I have put pins in over 100 films. Whether those pins will stay there is another question. But for now, I will give a recap of films that have missed out in my top ten, but still deserve a mention.

I will begin with the first official 2017 film, and that is Danny Boyle's long awaited sequel to Trainspotting, 'T2: Trainspotting'. My most anticipated film that did not make my top 10 is Gore Verbinski strange and creepy looking 'A Cure For Wellness'. I'm not expecting much for the new 'Power Rangers' film. But as it was a big part of my childhood, I have to see what's what. I'm intrigued to see how the live-action re-make of 'Ghost In The Shell' goes. I really hope it gives the animated original justice. I would certainly consider looking at this potentially good looking thriller 'Unforgettable'. Despite the over emphasized news item on this particular film, I'm still going to see 'A Dog's Purpose'. 'The Circle' with Tom Hanks and Emma Watson looks interesting. As much as I am looking forward to another Pirates film, I'm not sure if 'Pirates Of The Caribbean: Salazar's Revenge' will be any good. But I will still go and see it, as I love the franchise.
These days, superhero films are becoming part of our everyday life. Some are not in my top 10 that I am still excited for is the good looking 'Wonder Woman', 'Spiderman: Homecoming' which hopefully begins a franchise worthy of the source material, Taika Waititi's 'Thor: Ragnarok' and 'Justice League' which could make or break many peoples belief in the DC Extended Universe worth paying money to see unfold.

Cars is back with a third installment, the cool sounding 'The Dark Tower' which is based on a Stephen King novel, Luc Besson's 'Valerian And The City Of A Thousand Planets' could be this generations The Fifth Element, Edgar Wright's new film 'Baby Driver', Doug Liman and Tom Curise are back together in 'American Made', a much deserved Kingsman sequel is coming out called 'Kingsman: The Golden Circle', we have a 'The Lego Ninjago Movie' being planned for a release which I am excited about and there is a new Tomas Alfredson film 'The Snowman' starring Michael Fassbender.
One film that I was thinking of gambling and putting in my top 10 despite no trailer being out yet, is an 'Untitled Cloverfield Antholoy Movie' in the work. I love both Cloverfield films, and another one makes me super-psyched. But I think a lack of info prevented to not quite get it in my top 10.
Films planned to be release towards the end of the year that I am likely to see are Paddington 2, Red Sparrow, Murder On The Orient Express, Coco, Darkest Hour, Jumanji, The Greatest Showman and an Untitled Disney Live-Action Fairy Tale,

Films are provisional set for 2017, but have yet to have a specific release date that sound interesting are Annihilation, Battle Of The Sexes, Mary And The Witch's Flower, Mary Magdalene, Patti Cake$, The Kidnapping Of Edgardo Mortara, Three Billboards Outside Of Ebbing Missouri, Untitled Darren Aronofsky Project, Untitled Detroit Project, Wind River, World War Z 2.

As you can see, there is plenty to enjoy in 2017. But here are the 10 that I am excited for the most at the start of 2017:

10) War For The Planet Of The Apes - After really enjoying 'Rise' and 'Dawn', the current Planet Of The Apes has exceeded many expectations.
With this one looking to flow into the original Planet Of The Apes, I am intrigued to see if this installment could make one of the best trilogies of recent times.

Release Date: July 14th

9) The Lego Batman Movie - I really enjoyed 'The Lego Movie', and it became one of the best and most popular films of 2014.

Now the most memorable character, is getting his own film. Will Arnett is back as the voice of Batman, and from what I've seen in the trailers, the style of comedy is similar to 'The Lego Movie'. Just take my money now!

Release Date: February 4th

8) Kong: Skull Island - I am always excited for any King Kong film, and this one is no exception.
With a stellar cast including the amazing Tom Hiddleston and Brie Larson and this being in the same universe as the latest Godzilla film. This could be a highly memorable blockbuster.

Release Date: March 10th

7) Logan - This film has been getting a lot of buzz. Mainly because of the extremely mature tone, and it could be the Wolverine film we have been longing to see.

Hugh Jackman's character has become special to him, and I am confident he will give it a huge send-off.

Release Date: March 1st

6) Beauty And The Beast - The next Disney live-action re-make. I have always been weary for re-makes. But after really enjoying Cinderella and The Jungle Book, I just can't resist going nuts for one of the most beloved Disney animations of all-time.

I loved it as a kid, and I am partly confident this will be another critical hit.

Release Date: March 17th

5) Alien: Covenant - After the mixed reviews of Prometheus, some momentum was lost within the Alien franchise.
Despite avoiding the trailers, I have heard many great things that has made me put it up this high. Especially with Ridley Scott aiming to make it more of a horror, like with the original Alien.

Release Date: May 19th

4) Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2 - It became one of the highest grossing films of 2014, now director James Gunn returns the biggest band of misfits.
I will never get tired with the first GOTG, and the thought of a sequel makes me have a crisis downstairs. Yes, I am that excited.

Release Date: April 28th

3) Blade Runner 2049 - I had huge doubts with this one, as the original Blade Runner was so unique, that I knew the tone would be hard to be replicated (see what I did there) by anyone else.
But after seeing Arrival, I knew director Dennis Villeneuve was a safe pair of hands.
I haven't seen the trailer, but the images have me thinking we could have something special on our hands.

Release Date: October 6th

2) Dunkirk - I don't care what type of films it is, it is a new Christopher Nolan film.

His films have become events to me and many others. With this one being based on true events, especially with something so epic, I am excited to see what Nolan and his team can create.

Release Date: July 21st

1) Star Wars: The Last Jedi - You knew it was going to happen. After The Force Awakens, we are now in full swing of one Star Wars each year for the next few years.
Will this be similar to Empire Strikes Back as The Force Awakens was to A New Hope? We'll just have to see.
This might become a regular thing having a Star Wars film as my number one.

Release Date: December 15th

No comments:

Post a Comment