Sunday 22 April 2018

My Top 10: Michael Bay Films

Love him or hate him, Michael Bay is most definitely an auteur. You will early on if you are watching a Michael Bay film. From his camera style, to the writing, the many explosions and the love of the military, American flag there always been a never-ending sunset in his scenes.
A lot of people believe his best days are behind him, and he is just churning out junk that are still just about appealing the masses. However, some still believe he is giving some entertaining content with high-rewatchability.

For me, Bay can be a good director. But most of the time that I feel him to be a lazy one. But I am definitely in the minority in terms of my enjoyment for most of his films. Barring apart from maybe three of his films, the rest have their moments, but fall under the tropes I feel bring the worst out of Bay.
Thankfully, none of his films are terrible in my opinion. There is always something redeemable in them. It's the overall product that doesn't become something that I would watch again.

I have seen 14 of his 15 feature films as a director. The only I haven't seen is '6 Underground'. I will rank all of them, and give a small review for each of my top 10:

14) Transformers: The Last Knight
13) Transformers: Age Of Extinction
12) Pain & Gain
11) Ambulance

10) Armageddon - A lot of my followers will know how much I hate this film. In terms of structure of film-making, it has some solid moments and has a fun vibe around it.

But the story is so stupid, and I can't believe the story of Bay telling Ben Affleck to shut up when he questioned the plot.

But at least the use of the Aerosmith song is cool.

9) Transformers: Dark Of The Moon - For me, this is when I thought Bay was losing the plot on this franchise. I know for a lot of others it never got good, but I am afraid this one felt lazy.

But at least the visual effects are great as ever.


8) Bad Boys II - While I don't mind the first one, this one just felt annoying with some decent action in between.

The comradary between Will Smith and Martin Lawrence did not feel anywhere near as strong from the original, and only has a small amount of moments of redeemable quality.

7) 13 Hours - Some say this one was a return to form for Bay. I can somewhat agree with that.

The action is cool, tense and emotional for the most part. However, there were still some moments of typical Bay incoherence that just felt too much. It also too long in its duration.

A solid entry with a surprisingly mature tribute to the people who lived this story and give us some hope for future Bay films.

6) Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen - I remember loving this after the first viewing. After re-watching it a few times, I have grounded my enjoyment of it. But I think it is still solid fun.

I totally understand the massive amount of hate for this. But the vibe really made this entertaining, despite its flaws.

5) Pearl Harbor - Despite the badly timed Titanic-inspired plot, this is a solid watch.

Yes it has its problems, but when it gets good, it's really good.

It's saving grace is most definitely the awesome infamous bombing scene. That set-piece alone is worth watching on the biggest screen possible.

4) Bad Boys - While protecting a witness to a murder, a couple of smarth-mouthed detectives investigate case that took place within their own precinct.

The strength of Smith and Lawrence's chemistry makes this a fun and entertaining watch and the birth of many's peoples favourite buddy-cop movie.

3) The Rock - Seen by many as his best work, and I am certainly fine with that.

While a renegade general threatens a gas attack from Alcatraz, a chemist and a former Alcatraz escapee must lead a counterstrike.

A strong cast, with solid writing and great action make one of the most fun 90's action films.


2) The Island - I really enjoyed this effectively modern update of Logan's Run.

It is a great concept that I felt was fully-utilised.

It moves along at a great pace, and the action ramps up into an exhillerating ride that makes me believe Bay can conjure up more of this.

1) Transformers - I enjoyed this hugely. Based off the popular TV series and toys, this is a really entertaining blockbuster that had a similar vibe of Small Soldiers.

It romps along, it has great action set pieces and I just loved the energy this blockbuster had. I would have loved to have seen this on the big screen. It's a shame how the Transformers franchise has become.

No comments:

Post a Comment