Sunday 13 January 2019

Review: Free Solo

It's been a strange path leading up to my viewing of his film documentary set at the infamous cliff face of El Capitan.

I first heard of this back last Autumnand heard nothing but stellar reviews. Then when I got to the Leeds International Film Festival, there was a similar documentary set at El Capitan that they showed called The Dawn Wall, which apparently was made first. If you have read my review of it, then you know how I really enjoyed The Dawn Wall. So unlike most people, I was going in knowing it would be tough to match my enjoyment of The Dawn Wall.

I noticed early on that they actually briefly mentioned the events from The Dawn Wall which made me chuckle, because hardly anyone else would be aware of that. As for the film itself, seeing it on the big screen is essential to make it as thrilling of an experience as possible.
The feat of the achievement is impressive to see develop from its planning to actually doing it. Plus, the views of Yosemite National Park are always a joy. But seeing them from the face of El Capitan certainly enhances them.

But what I think makes The Dawn Wall the superior is the people involved.

The task at hand is being made by a climber called Alex Honnold. His personality is not the kind that you instantly warm to. Once you get to know his personality, I found enough to warm to him and being engaged with. But the charm and show of drive and determination felt more pleasing on the eye from climbers Tommy Caldwell and Kevin Jorgensen in The Dawn Wall.

While I may have come out from my screening straight away and say it was not as good, it is still a highly thrilling experience that will have you on the edge of your seat. The tension certainly mounts as they get closer to attempting this feat. Plus, the sub-plot of the sacrifices our climber is having to make was interesting to see.

But with The Dawn Wall still fresh in the memory, I think the timing of seeing this certainly effected my views. It is a shame that The Dawn Wall hasn't had the same coverage as Free Solo has. The latter will get the plaudits. But I do hope that people discover the former eventually.

Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment