Sunday 26 January 2020

Review: Genesis

It's not often that I don't go nuts for a film that is heavier on ideas then it is about its surface level and story-telling.
But this had me feeling that way.

The two stories it was focusing on were perfectly fine in terms of its pacing, development, execution and were carried well by the two leads.

Both Theodore Pellerin and Noee Abita showed great authenticity and innocence in their performance and perfectly enhanced the films themes of adolescence, and yet both were done in different ways.

Whilst Pellerin was expressing the more conventional way we see said themes, Abita's character went the more modern and alternative route. In the end, I felt Abita to have the more interesting content and dealt with it very well for a memorable performance. I hope to see of Abita in future projects.
As for Pellerin, there were a few memorable individual scenes where he could show his characters cheeky side, which certainly worked especially in the opening act.

While the performances do enough to keep me interested in what was happening, there was not much else that had me wanting to check this out again.
There's definitely nothing wrong with the film. I think it might be the pacing, tone and directors style that just lacks that re-watchability factor.

While it may be a good one to discuss as it projects its themes rather well on screen. As a piece of cinema and entertainment, it was a bit uneventful and at times too sombre for me.
It moves along at a pleasant pace. The performances had strong moments, particularly Abita with many memorable scenes that was purely to do with the look she was giving. But I didn't feel there wasn't any juicy goodness to get your teeth into.

The topics it covers such as teenage adolesence, young romance and puberty is a good one to go for. But I have seen it done better, covered more thoroughly and had a more impactful viewing experience with other films.
As for this one, it's perfectly fine. There's nothing bad about it. There was very little that made it live long in my memory and entice me to see it again.

Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment