Thursday 2 December 2021

Review: House Of Gucci

From four years without a Ridley Scott directed feature, we suddenly get two in the same year. The first being an impactful medieval drama, the next  focusing on one of the famous fashion family brands in history.

To be brutally honest, apart from the name and some of its signature products, I know nothing about Gucci. So based on the strength of the people involved in front and behind the camera, this had the makings of a film shooting for the major awards.

It does start off well. The foundations are built with plenty of intrigue and enough characters with solid instructions to give us an idea where we could be heading. In terms of structure of character arch's, there was a hint of 'The Godfather' in many areas. It also hinted a few satirical moments which got the odd laugh out of me.
As the film takes a darker turn, the less interested I was in the film. In fact, I was close to nodding off and I rarely do that. While there was still some interesting developments occurring, the films duration started to drag and certain choices and directions it took slowed the momentum down.

One part that kept me going to the end was the cast. Lady Gaga did a good job I felt. She continues to show us all that she can make an established acting career in major films.
Adam Driver was a standout for me. It takes quite a talent to have many face expressions where some may feel he's not giving emotion, where in fact he is giving it everything. His talent knows no bounds and I continue to be impressed by outings in feature films.
Both Gaga and Driver together really worked elsewhere. Two contrastic personalities, who together gives us some of the films most memorable scenes.

Jeremy Irons utilised his experience with solid support and a performance that elevated what his character was given and Al Pacino was being Al Pacino, but in Italian.
As for Jared Leto, he gives a performance that will most certainly divide people. For me, it felt out of place with the rest of the film. But I can see others love this in a guilty pleasure way. While the prosthetics are impressive to make him unrecognisable. The character that he gives us felt as if it would be better suited to a sketch show. I was certainly entertained by it. But not always in the right way.

The technical side was pretty strong. It looked great, there it was shot was pretty satisfying and the costume design and make up is obviously strong for a film involving one of the most famous fashion lines in the world.

It was a bit more withdrawn than I expected. I think for a story involving these particular people, I think it should have been a more impactable then it ended up thing. While it is a solid piece of work, the source material used and the people involved, you naturally something special. The duration was also noticeable. At over 2hrs 30mins, it does take a while to tell its story and could have easily been cut by half an hour.
I'm a bit lukewarm with this one. There's a solid stuff in here. But as it's the type of film that I rarely go nuts for, I sadly cannot see myself watching this again and throughout most of the film, it just made me want to see far superior films of a similar genre.

I can see personally see general audiences getting bored by it. But I will be interested to see how this fairs in terms of the box office. If it does better than The Last Duel, I will be disappointed as The Last Duel deserved better financial success.

Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment