Sunday 2 January 2022

Review: The Electrical Life Of Louis Wain

Purely based on the star power involved, I wanted to check this one out. When a film that has Benedict Cumberbatch and Claire Foy as the leads in a film coming out in January, 'awards contender' is the only expectation you have on your mind.

Thankfully, it is these two that make this film.

I had no idea about the story, and it is really interesting if not depressing in its tone by the end of it.

The Victorian setting instantly looked great and remained that way. That as well as the pleasant and homely tone it had put me at ease straight away. I don't know what it is about a Victorian look, but it always seems to give off a charming and pleasant vibe.
With the film's central character being mainly associated with art, the film-makers utilise that in its style in certain sequences that give it a hint of fantasy about it that reminded me of Tim Burton's Big Eyes. Those moments showed some lovely imagery which I felt blended well with the time period.

However, there is a strangeness to it in every aspect. The pacing felt a bit jerky and the narrative felt it a bit all over the place. But it remained charming and intriguing throughout and I felt that was thanks to Cumberbatch and Foy when it's either or both.

While I don't think as it's moving as it could have been. It's a solid and entertaining watch that had a great Sunday afternoon mood to it. It looks great and the story was really interesting story and will most likely make you want to know more about it.
Once again, I have to mention that Cumberbatch and Foy are great together and give a very believable relationship. I must also mention Andrea Riseborough and Toby Jones who contribute to the film well in their supporting roles.

Despite portions of it being more a tragedy, it had a more whimsical edge that kept it uplifting which I think will help the viewing be more pleasing and comforting to a mass audience. I can see this doing well more of an older audience.

Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment