Wednesday 7 December 2022

Review: Matilda the Musical

While I was somewhat excited to check this out, I feel it would have been best to see the stage show first as that was this version it is based off rather than solely on the Roald Dahl story.

In the opening act, I was already see a production design that sadly wasn't agreeing with me.

It felt like a poor man's Tim Burton with the bright colours and fantasy like architecture. But of the casting choices, their performances and the creativity of the songs were keeping me partly invested.

I had a strange feeling throughout this as if something always felt off for me. Yet it was still giving content with a positive energy that you can't help but enjoy. The whole look of it didn't feel like it belonged on the big screen. It was like I just watching a recording of a stage show. But aspects of the story did feel cinematic.
But thankfully, it does end on a strong note both positive and heartfelt that should give everyone a spring in their step when leaving their screening.

Like with any musical, a big thanks go to the ensemble cast. Alisha Weir gives so much energy to give in the lead role and her determination is infectious. Emma Thompson is as great as you would expect. That almost pantomime villain is something she can do in her sleep and yet she still gave it more than just being bad.
It was nice seeing Lashana Lynch in a role of this kind as we normally see in something serious or killing bad guys as a secret agent.
Stephen Graham's hot streak continues as he and Andrea Riseborough worked great together in their exaggerated roles.

I also have to give a mention to the entire cast of kids who gave us some memorable choreographed sequences including one particular showstopper to end the film on a high.

So while I did have mixed feelings towards the film, I remain up for seeing it on the stage as I think this is where this version of the story should be.

The songs are solid and smart and there are some good performances in here. But a lot of felt too theatrical for my liking, the general look of it felt more like it was made for TV and not the cinema.
Also, it cut out or glossed over important parts of the '1996' version that made it work so well. Seeing this has certainly made me appreciate that 90's family classic a whole lot more.

There's enough good in it to get a pass off of me, and the energy and vibe is hard to be sniffy at. But I cannot see myself watching this again. However, it hasn't changed me wanting to see the stage show. I know I'll be in the minority with my issues as I am confident this will do well with kids and families. The tone is joyful and there is enough emotion that sticks at the right time. It just simply wasn't the complete package for me. I'll stick with Danny DeVito and Pam Farris.

Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment