Thursday 25 April 2013

Review: Iron Man 3

Robert Downey Jnr. is back as the iconic Tony Stark and with more gadgets for you to enjoy. 

Firstly, this is definitely one of the better '3' films in any modern franchise. It picks up straight from the Avengers and goes up another gear from Iron Man 2. The intro to the film made me smile a lot as it brought back a hit song from the 90's, and I reckon it will be back in the charts in the next few weeks. 


The opening few scenes gave you a great reminder of how great the first Iron Man was and showed a lot more on Stark's recent past before Iron Man. It gives us a good enough intro to the villains involved and sets you up nicely for the events that are yet to come.

The flow of the movie is solid and the build up slowly cranks up. There is an odd twist that does end up with amusing results about two-thirds of the way through, but it was not what I was expecting. In the end it did make sense, but that part felt a bit silly in my opinion. But that's you would expect from a superhero movie.

A lot of the best scenes are packed with CGI as usual, but they are impressive to say the least. The climatic scene was a typical over-the-top finish that will please many audiences and it pleased me in a lot of the scenes. The setting of the climax confused me as I felt it had nothing much to do about the intentions of the villain. But like most 'in your face' action movies, you just have to go with it.  One bit that I thought was completely pointless, was setting it during Christmas. Thankfully, I found out afterwards that director Shane Black usually sets his films during that particular holiday.

The performances were as you would expect from the previous two. Downey Jnr. shows us the great mix of Stark's funny side and his passionate side. Paltrow is back as Pepper Potts and definitely more bad-ass than ever in this one. It was nice to see Favereu back and of course Don Cheadle as War Machine or 'Iron Patriot' as he is known in this one. Guy Pearce pulls off a solid villain as does Ben Kingsley who continues to never ever top his epic performance as Gandhi. 


Overall, I did enjoy a lot of it and thought it was better then I was expecting in many parts. There is a top amount of action, a lot of funny moments that will get big laughs. There were just some silly bits that I reckon could have been improved, but it did not dampen my spirits when it came to the credits. This will get a lot of box-office numbers and could be the first 2013 film to surpass the one billion dollars mark. It is better than 2, and almost as good as 1. It is worth watching, especially on the big screen. I did not see it in 3D, but a lot of scenes I could tell would use 3D to its best effect.


As usual, with it being a Marvel film, there was the post-credits scene. It was not an important one to do with a Avengers, but it was an enjoyable few seconds that does actually feature a fellow Avenger.


Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment