Friday 5 April 2013

Review: Hitchcock

For the past year or two I have managed to watched a lot of Alfred Hitchcock's material. He has now become one of my favorite directors of all-time. With classics like Psycho, Vertigo, Rear Window and The Birds, I was expecting a nice homage to master of the suspense.

Overall, it was pretty solid. I like the bits honoring his TV show, which I was not expecting. Showing us how he made Psycho did not seem as graphic and intense as 'The Girl' which showed us how he directed 'The Birds'. Anthony Hopkins did a good Hitchcock, but again 'The Girl' wins another round as I thought Toby Jones' performance was better. The star of the show was definitely Helen Mirren as Hitch's wife. I always enjoy watching her presence on the screen in anything.

Scarlett Johansson was very charming as the actress Janet Leigh, and James D'Arcy did a terrific portrayal of Anthony Perkins. He showed how creepy Perkins really is off screen as well as on screen.

Overall, it was a fun movie showing the public how great one of our most famous Brits filmed possibly the greatest horror of all-time. But sadly, I didn't feel it to be spectacular. It was solid enough to be liked and nothing more. A great film for Hitchcock fans. But if you haven't seen any of his films, then don't watch this first. You need to watch his back catalog first.

Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment