Sunday 5 January 2014

Review: American Hustle

You see the cast, you're instantly intrigued. You see the director, you expect more Oscar quality film-making. You see the trailer, excitement is the only thing you can think of.

Under the direction of David O. Russell, this definitely has the feel of those 70's and early 80's mobster adult flicks. The set pieces, costumes, the impressive soundtrack, this loosely based true story really sucks you into the world of con-men, the mob and bribing scandals.

Despite it being put by the bookies as the second favorite to win Best Picture at the Oscars, it did not feel like that to me. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed it, but it felt like one of those ones where you would probably only watch once. The story never really fully engaged it, but I appreciated it enough to give it a high rating.

Lots of positives to talk about. The set-designs instantly had you in the time period, as did the costumes, as the hair was out loud I think I went deaf during the opening scene. But the part that definitely won me over was the performances.
I personally would have it as a contender for Best Picture, but I would definitely have them in contention for all four acting awards at the Oscars. Christian Bale, Amy Adams, Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence all created characters we could instantly care for, whether it be in a good or bad way.
If I had to choose one, it would be Lawrence. She has an acting presence that is far beyond her years. Her comic-relief was pleasing to the eye every time, and she probably has the best part of the film that involves marigolds.

Also hearing that it got nominated for the Best Film at the Golden Globes in the Comedy category confused me. There are funny moments, but the central theme is nowhere near comedy. It is essentially a crime drama and should be in the drama category. I think they have done that, because the favorite is also in the drama category, and they are basically making sure the two favorites each win a big award.

Overall, I loved the performances. The set and costume design seem very detailed to the time period. The story is very interesting. But like I said, it felt like one of those good films that you would probably only watch once. I did not feel engaged enough to really like it, but I admired a lot of it and feel that it deserves a good rating.

Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment