Friday 24 January 2014

Review: Inside Llewyn Davis

My first Coen brothers film that I have decided to go and see on the big screen.
However, this is the seventh in total that I have seen. I never get blown away by their films, but I always find nearly all of them very good or at the very least, quite interesting.
I respect the Coen's as they always do something different. No sequels and only two re-makes, True Grit and The Ladykillers, which I have yet to see either sadly.

But every time the end credits arrive, I just think "very interesting, but not fun enough to watch it again". The only one that I have seen again was 'Burn After Reading' but I would be happy to see 'Fargo', 'Burn After Reading' and 'No Country For Old Men' minus the ending.

With Inside Llewyn Davis, there was no change.

I will start with the positives. It is a great portrayal of the birth of folk music to the mainstream audience. It really shows the struggles of folk singers at the start of the 1960's. The Coen brothers create very interesting characters and you do feel for them.
The songs are great to listen to and I am sure I will be listening to them weeks after typing this review. The design of the clubs where the songs are taking place really sucks you into the 1960's and the folk scene.
As for the performances, Oscar Isaac was a charming lead and I hope this gets him more blockbuster roles. Carey Mulligan is becoming even more one of my favorites actresses at the moment. All the minor roles contributing nicely and act as only you would expect from a Coen brothers film. One thing I was happy to notice was that the ending completed the story well, unlike No Country For Old Men which I will always be annoyed about.

The negatives are only from a personal source. I still cannot find a Coen brothers that just makes me go wow. They never seem fun enough to watch again and again and never get tired of. There is enough in Burn After Reading that got me to watch it again. But for Inside Llewyn Davis, I think it will only be the music that I will be listening to more than once.

My emotions were pretty much the same as every other Coen brothers film, very good but did not amaze me. I'm not sure whether that is a good thing, or since it gave me the same emotions it meant that it is more of the same which could be seen as a failure.
However, I will finish off by saying that I did enjoy it. The characters are very interesting and you do feel for them, the folk songs are great and the cinematography is tip-top. It is definitely one for Coen fans. For general movie-goers they will probably see this as a promising opening, but eventually slow and boring. I can see why this narrowly missed out on Best Picture at the Oscars.

Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment