Saturday 28 February 2015

My Top 10: Most Under-rated Films

Under-rated and over-rated films are usually the most discussed film-related topics of all-time.

When I posted my top 10 most over-rated films, it was quite controversial and became my most viewed post.

Whereas over-rated is negative based, I am hoping my top 10 most under-rated list with bring a more positive tone.

When I think of under-rated, I see it as films that I rate very-highly. However universally, they are seen to be nowhere near as good as I rated it.

Firstly, I must give honorable mentions to quite a few films. They are: Speed Racer, Monsters, The Golden Compass, The Double, Star Trek: Generations, Antz, Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium, To Die For, A Monster In Paris, The Girl Next Door, A Good Year, Smokin' Aces, Meet The Robinsons and Flight Of The Navigator.
One that I remember loving as a kid, but feel that I need to re-watch is Paulie. I think I should watch it again to see if it is as good as I remember.

But here is my top 10, and they are very special to me:

10) Atlantis: The Lost Empire - Seen as a lost Disney classic by a lot of people including myself, this is a terrific action family adventure.

It might be as good as its treasured classics, but it deserves the same recognition.
It still easily holds up today with its frenetic pace and wonderful animation and imagination.


9) The Producers - I seriously do not get how anyone can say that the original is by far better than the re-make.
Where the original had a great script, the re-make gave it the outrageous broadway tone we were missing.

It's hilarious, a lot of fun and with stellar performances from Nathan Lane, Matthew Broderick, Uma Thurman, Will Ferrell and Gary Beach.


8) Speed Racer - It is definitely uncool to like this movie. But there is a cult out there for this movie adaptation of the Japanese anime.

Despite appealing the kids, the story does have mature angles whilst having some splapstick in there. Its heart is so in the right place, the style of editing is flashy and the visuals and race scenes are hugely impressive. Recommend you watch this on the biggest screen possible.
7) The Legend Of Bagger Vance - An absolute must-see for golf fans, but it also appeals to any film fan.
Matt Damon plays a washed-up golfer attempting to recover with a mystical caddy (played Will Smith) against two of the greatest players of all-time.

It is a highly emotional story with top performances and pulls at the hearts strings with the perfect amount.


6) Vanilla Sky - I remember this dividing people on its release, and I can see it continuing to do that forever more.

It is a haunting drama about a vain publisher's life being flipped upside down after a car accident with an ex-girlfriend.

It is also a film you may need to watch more than once. Also, Cameron Diaz is in this and I have never felt so scared by one of her characters until seeing this.

5) Signs - Seen by many as director M. Night Shyamalan's last good film.
Everyone agrees it is a great tension builder, but it seems the final quarter of the film divided audiences.
I found it to be a wonderfully tense thriller, with some nice added humour.

It may not have that blockbuster billing that it was given, but it certainly delivers nonetheless.



4) Meet Joe Black - The plot may sound mad and the run-time might force people away, but this is a fantasy drama that surprised me so much.

It has that perfect mix of emotional drama and comedy. The story may get complex at times and the film may not tie all the loose strings, but that gives room for your imagination to run wild.

Also, Brad Pitt is an absolute star as the lead.


3) Phone Booth - Billed as mindless action, there is something really interesting about this Joe Schumacher mystery thriller.

Famously filmed in one small location, Colin Farrell plays a man trapped in a phone booth as his previous sins are being tested by a mysterious phone-caller.

It always get me on the edge of my seat and I cannot understand it has not done that with many others.

2) Return To Oz - For regulars to my blog, this was going to be an obvious choice in my top 10.

Its initial release saw critics give it a lot of negative reviews. But over the years, a cult following has tried to put this fantasy epic back on the map. There is even a fan-made documentary called 'The Joy That Got Away'.

It is an excellent fantasy tale with a very dark tone that is truer to the books than the 1939 classic ever was.

1) A.I. Artificial Intelligence - Initially having mixed reviews, this futuristic re-telling of the Pinocchio story could well be a misunderstood masterpiece by director Steven Spielberg.

It is great for sci-fi fans and people who see families as a huge part of their life.

This is one of the few films that really made me think about life, the universe and everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment