Monday 5 October 2015

My Top 10: Robert Zemeckis Films

Robert Zemeckis surprisingly does not get mentioned enough compared to others like Spielberg, Hitchcock or even Nolan.
But you certainly know about the films this man has made for over the past 30 years.

From re-defining the time-travel sub-genre, to ground-breaking animations cross-overing into live-action, Zemeckis' works will never be forgotten.

After doing my top 10 list, I can safely my list for this Oscar winner in almost set-in-stone. The only that I have not seen that I think will affect this list will be the 2012 hit, Flight.

So like I said, some of you may not have heard of him. But when you see the list, you will appreciate the work he has made for your enjoyment.

I have all seen of his 20 films apart from a documentary he made in 1999. I'm not counting 1986 film Amazing Stories, as Zemeckis is one of three directors collaborating with that particular project. With that in mind, here is my ranking for all of Zemeckis' films that I have seen, with a short review for each of my top 10:

20) The Witches
19) Pinocchio
18) Beowulf
17) Romancing The Stone
16) Death Becomes Her
15) A Christmas Carol
14) Flight
13) I Wanna Hold Your Hand
12) Allied
11) Used Cars

10) The Polar Express - Universally seen as odd, but I find to be a very enjoyable film that was a lot better than I expected.

It is definitely not your bog-standard Christmas film, and I felt it gave Christmas new edge to its history.

The visuals were ground-breaking for its time and I feel that most of it still holds up.

9) What Lies Beneath - I remember getting this a long with the first DVD player my family bought.

I was probably too young to watch this and remember being scared out of my mind.
I still feel it is a good romp with a good amount of scares and great cinematography.

8) Cast Away - A terrific survival story that sees a FedEx worker crash land on a desert island.

Tom Hanks plays the lead wonderfully well and does everything right in how to make a successful survival film.

The theme of a human battling the elements of nature is always a winning recipe.

7) The Walk - Zemeckis' latest work tells the story that is known as 'the artistic crime of the century'. It sees Joseph Gordon-Levitt play wire walker Philippe Petit who realises his dream to walk on a wire between the World Trade Centre towers. It is one probably my favourite story of all-time and is portrayed really well.

The use of 3D is terrific and the walk itself is quite something.

6) Back To The Future Part III - Probably seen as the weakest of the Back To The Future trilogy, and yet it is still a terrific watch.

It is a great homage to the Western genre and ties up the trilogy so beautifully.
Plus, it has all the usual romping action that a Back To The Future can only do.

We see Marty rescure Doc and bringing back home from the year 1885.

5) Who Framed Roger Rabbit - This is one of those films that you never hear a bad word said about it.

Set in a world where toons are living amongst us, a detective is helping a cartoon rabbit in proving his innocence after a murder of the owner of Toon Town.

It is also a great intro to the film-noir genre.

4) Contact - After years of investigating, a doctor find radio proof of intelligent life outside of Earth.

Starring Jodie Foster and Matthew McConaughey, this is a criminally under-rated and is a wonderful watch.

Zemeckis does that great thing of sending out a simple message, and yet in such a subtle way.

3) Back To The Future Part II - Now that we have gone into the past, Doc and Marty are now off to the future.

But after a character from the future steals the time-machine, it is a race to fix the timeline.

This really the trilogy new depth and is highly gripping to watch.

2) Back To The Future - Seen as one of the most iconic movies not of the 80's, but of all-time. This is also the movie that obviously re-defined the time-travel genre.

When a high-school kid is accidentally sent back to 1955, he must re-unite his parents to safe his life.

This is pure entertainment and will stand the test of time.

1) Forrest Gump - One of only 15 films that I have seen to get the perfect rating score.

It sees a person not known for his intelligence become part of some of the most historic moments in the latter part of the 20th century.

I will forever say that this is the most inspiring film I have ever seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment