Monday 5 October 2015

Review: The Walk

When hearing about the release of this, I had to see it on the opening day.

Not just because Robert Zemeckis (Back To The Future trilogy, Forrest Gump, Who Framed Roger Rabbit) was directing this. It was for the story.

After seeing the 2008 Oscar winning film documentary Man On Wire, it became my favorite film documentary of all-time.
It was utterly engrossing and the way they portrayed this ridiculous achievement that was done by Philippe Petit without anyone's permission made this one of the greatest human moments in the 20th century.

While we are all awaiting for the big finale, the build-up is plodding along nicely. With clever old school style uses of 3D that remind of 2011 film Hugo, we see what drives our main character to do something so ridiculous and why us humans make ourselves do stuff that nobody else would even start thinking about.

I think a lot of people including myself will be divided on the first two-thirds of the film. Some people will be fine with it. But others might have wanted more history of Petit and to understand his ambition for wanting to do this risky stunt.
For me, I was wanting a bit of both. I was interested in what was being portrayed. However there were some moments that felt unnecessary. If they replaced it with a bit more depth to the main character, then I think that would have been ideal for me.

As for the famous walk scene it self that is making everyone attend the cinema for, is in no other way 'heart-in-mouth' stuff. I was really anxious throughout that moment that is rightfully known as the 'art stunt of the century'. My dis-belief was thoroughly suspended and it was one of the most captivating moments I have seen at the cinema this year. That final scene confirmed for me that you either see this in IMAX 3D or you do not see it at all.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt gives us a very charming performance as Petit. Despite the French accent showing signs of Monty Python, it is a consistent accent and you start to warm to it.
I also liked Charlotte Le Bon's performance. I have never seen her before and I enjoyed her screen presence. Ben Kingsley gives us a great under-stated performance that he can probably do in his sleep to be honest.

The Walk makes me forget how good Zemeckis is in merging CGI with live-action. From the feather at the start and end of Forrest Gump to ground-breaking motion-capturing of The Polar Express and A Christmas Carol. Zemeckis has made a well acted, beautifully shot and highly entertaining flick that we all he can consistently do.
Despite the main set-piece that everyone is waiting for being sort of its saving grace for the rest of the film, there is still something interesting things in those first two-thirds.

If you haven't seen Man On Wire, then I think seeing The Walk would be the right thing. If you want to know more, then watch the documentary, as that for me it is superior to the film.
One final thing that I liked Zemeckis did with this feature was giving the World Trade Centre towers a fitting tribute as this iconic stunt gave life and a personality to these buildings, and Zemeckis rightly showed that.

I am glad someone made this as it is one of my favorite stories to read about, as it is moments like that that inspires humans to do incredible things and Zemeckis made us re-live that moment.

Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment