Sunday 28 February 2016

Review: Hail, Caesar!

If you have read enough of my reviews, then you might know that I am not the biggest Coen brothers fan. I definitely appreciate them and do find some of them to be very good. But I never see them to be award winning or be some of the greatest films of all-time.
However, some of my favourite films from this talented duo seem to be goofy comedies such as 'O, Brother Where Art Thou?' or 'Burn After Reading'. Their latest feature would seem to fit into that category judging by the trailer.

That actual trailer intrigued me so much that it became my most anticipated film of 2016. As this was a Coen brothers film, this gave me hope that this could be the one that I would see as one of the all-time greats.

Sadly, that wasn't the case. But don't worry, there is still a lot about this mad caper.

I seem to like screwball-type comedies that they do such as 'Burn After Reading or O Brother', 'Where Art Thou?'. This one turns to be another of those. But it does not quite match its predecessors.

It is always hard to classify a Coen brothers film, and that is mainly the reason why I don't put these directors on that pedestal that so many are. Thankfully, I can always appreciate what they are doing despite never seeing any of their films some of the greatest I have ever seen.

One things is for sure, is that it is gorgeous to look at. The 1950's setting is always a place that I would love to back in time to, especially when the setting is in Hollywood.
The type of films the Coens show throughout the film gives a great homage to those classic type of films that were being released at the time.

The performances are high-quality also from an extraordinary ensemble cast. Leading the way is Josh Brolin and George Clooney, who are regularly part of the Coen's features. Brolin was a solid lead and Clooney always excels in any Coen feature he has been in. Other regulars that were involved were Tilda Swinton who played twins who are both nosy gossip columnists, and Frances McDormand who was involved in one scene as an editor.
Stealing the show for me was relatively unknown Alden Ehrenreich, who plays an actor renowned for his roles in westerns. His image definitely fits the era and he has a young Orson Welles look abut him. His character is basically homage to Roy Rogers and he pulls it off beautifully with being involved in some of the best scenes in the film. Channing Tatum was great in a role that seemed like the Gene Kelly type.
Other roles paying tribute to classic actors were Scarlett Johansson who was basically playing Esther Williams, but with a sharp mouth and Veronica Osorio, who was the Carmen Miranda-esque character. Ralph Fiennes also gives a fine supporting role, along with small appearances from Jonah Hill, Wayne Knight and Christopher Lambert.

Two main things prevented me from thinking this was a very good. Not a lot of the jokes worked for me. But what worked was quite clever and the set-up style the Coens do in their comedy is definitely unconventional. They always seems to anything funny, especially when we don't aspect a comedic moment.
Something else was definitely missing that would have given a very good rating. I'm not quite sure what it could be. I think possibly the story could have felt more together and maybe I could have wanted the pacing slightly faster.

But I'm afraid the general feeling of it was a let down, but nevertheless a good and interesting watch.

If you're a fan of the history of film and understand the Coens style, then you will probably get the most enjoyment out of it. Sadly for the general audience, I think the stellar trailer and general marketing might let this film down as many including myself will leave disappointed. However, I still liked it, I never got bored, the quirky tone to it got a few laughs out of me and I never checked the time to see how long was left. The performances and writing were great, and the look of it is gorgeous.
I will still look forward to anything else the Coen's have to offer.

Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment