Friday 4 March 2016

Review: Goodnight Mommy

Two types of genres that I do not usually go to the cinema to see, foreign language and horror.

The trailer for this film completely intrigued me and I just had to check this out and see what's what.

Well, I can definitely say this a very interesting film that goes down many unexpected paths.

This Austrian horror does have a slow opening 30 minutes. But it is by no means a boring start. It is a simple premise with not many characters to keep up with. There is a strong sense of mystery and is tense throughout. This is mainly due to the characters definitely not feeling themselves.

Then we have a third act that takes a really disturbing turn and can feel heart-breaking depending on who you are rooting for in this. There is also a scene towards the end that definitely made me think differently about the film entirely. I don't know if I wasn't paying attention throughout, but I definitely did not expect it to end in the way that it did. I would also recommend to keep an eye on the people on screen in final couple of scenes as it is quite a clever addition to the finale.

Despite the upsetting moments, it's film-making is very effective to make this an engaging feature. Some people might not be satisfied with the ending. But I was fine with it.

The performances by our three main characters were very good. Lukas and Elias Schwarz felt natural and definitely acted like many others in their age group would. The star of the show for me was Susanne Wuest. She really showed her variety throughout and gave us a character that I think people will really sympathize with.

The cinematography was another strong positive. It really made the most of the landscape our characters are surrounded in.

All in all, it's a well-made and solid psychological horror thriller. It might not have the scares the trailer might suggest. But it is definitely a tense watch.

The ending will definitely make or break this film. For me, it enhanced the film and made me think about it long after it finished.

The trailer and marketing definitely looks like a totally different film which was a shame to see. But for what the film actually was, I found it to be quite thought provoking.
It won't be in many cinemas. But if it is in your local cinema and you want to try out something different and are fine with subtitles, then I would definitely give this a go.

Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment