Thursday 21 April 2016

Review: Eye In The Sky

It is not often that I choose to watch a new release in the same week of its release date. I remember doing it for Looper, and now I can add another. I had not even heard of this film. But all the reviews that were coming in had me interested and the trailer looked promising as well as a stellar cast.

Well, the first half got me totally on-board. I was interested in the characters, the situation, the tone and ideas it was addressing with not just modern-day warfare but with near-future warfare as some of the technology used is actually being tested right now.

However, the second half brings something into the main situation that I just was not a fan of. I get what they were trying to do, but I'm afraid it down-graded my enjoyment of it. Thankfully, there is a ballsy finale that I am glad they went for to make it a complete story.

While most of the action is about how the legality of air-strikes work and political propoganda, it was tense nevertheless. There is rarely action on-the-ground. But there is enough to keep everyone happy whilst concentrating on the big idea that the makers are going for.

By far the biggest draws in the performances are Helen Mirren and Alan Rickman in his final on-screen performance. I find Mirren to be constantly terrific and holds the film together really we. In an almost Captain Ahab-esque performance excels in a lead role that we do not see from her that often, especially now.
Despite that, this film will be remembered for Rickman's supporting role. Trust me, this is not a sympathetic comment to say how great this man is. The delivery of his lines brought a smile to my face and even made me laugh as he was the only bit of comedy throughout. Even his final speech was a really moving send-off. I would happily see this again just to see that scene again, as it was a real highlight.
Other notable performances were Aaron Paul, Jeremy Northern, Iain Glen and it was great to see Barkhad Abdi get another role under his belt after his terrific debut in Captain Phillips.

Eye In The Sky is really good in places but good for the most part. Sadly, that twist halfway through just did not please me at all. Director Gavin Hood who also did Ender's Game seems to make films that are stacked on ideas, especially in warfare. I am more than happy for Hood to keep doing this as I like his ambition whether is totally works for me or not.

I really liked the technology used in this, especially when the bits that may look sci-fi to some people may soon be truth in a few years time. Mirren and Rickman are the big attractions and well worth the price of admission. It is very watchable and gripping, especially in that great first half. It never plays safe and goes into some interesting and topical subjects.
If you are unsure whether to go and see this or not. Then watch it for the memory of Rickman, which is what the film dedicates it to at the start of the end credits.

Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment