Friday 15 April 2016

Review: Hardcore Henry

Even with film being over a century old, it is amazing that we can still create brand new ways of presenting a film. In the case of Hardcore Henry, it is showing an entire feature film from a first person point of view.

I decided not to watch the trailer as the concept and some of the people was enough to give me confidence that this in safe hands and that I will get a lot of enjoyment without the needs of a trailer viewing.

It is quite simply one of the craziest films I have ever seen. From the great opening credits to the intense finale, the action is so constant. At times, it does go over-the-top and at times throws the laws of physics out of the window. But on the whole, it is really well developed and choreographed and gradually ups the ante on the action set-pieces.

The first part of the film slowly gets you used to the unique style of camerawork whilst explaining the main premise of the film. Then once its give you that introduction, you hit the ground running in such an impactful way.
It never stops and the camerawork just gives that difference, because if it was done with conventional cinematography then this would probably just a solid action flick.

What I liked about it the most was the cool twists used, especially in the second half. I liked it, because on paper it sounds like a film with a cheap gimmick just to be different. But they also manage to give us a story with interesting use of sci-fi technology that managed to be part of my what could well be one of my favourite scenes from a movie this year.

The only role that is worth mentioning is Sharlto Copley's. The South African is well known for being part of gruesome sci-fi's District 9 and Elysium. I can definitely tell that these are the type of films that he likes being part of. He is given a character that actors love to do. It really expands his repertoire and was intrigued by where it was going.

A few gripes I had with the film. The amount of violence felt exhausting at times. There were moments where you could digest so much violence that I just could not take it all it and was on the verge of becoming over-blown.
As for the unique camerawork. It is impressive to see something completely new and props to that. But there were times my head was hurting at times. It is not quite motion-sickness, but it just gave me a headache. I hope I am not sounding like an old man.

Even though I enjoyed it a lot. In the end, it felt more like a trial for this camera format rather than giving us an interesting film whilst also giving us something new. It may sound harsh, but that's what was my main feeling afterwards.

There is a lot to like though. Copley is great as the main character we see from Henry's point of view. The one scene I have mentioned earlier will be on my mind for some time.
The intense action kept my eyes fixed as it is incredibly fast-paced and it makes you wanting to see every bit of action to see how mad this could get.

I love the idea and I am really happy to see new grounds still being broken within an industry that is over a century old. This could well be the best film for gamers even though it is based off one.

Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment