Sunday 27 October 2019

Review: Ready Or Not

This film had been in my 'maybe' category ever since I heard of this. On paper, it just sounded like a middle of the round horror thriller that won't go anywhere critically or financially.

However, my curiosity got the better of me. Especially it was getting polarising reviews from critics and audiences. The positive ones were glowing and the rest were saying it was silly. That was enough for me to check this out living in hope that I would be part of the positive reviews and have a fun viewing experience.

I think this could end up being the most fun film of the year for me.

Right from the very start, you could feel from the tone that the people that made us are here to entertain you. I already got a surprising sense of comedy to the story, which I welcomed. Then once we've been introduced to the various characters and the concept has been explained, I was ready for some fun.
I liked how they played around the concept, the environment our characters were in and even how over-the-top it got at the very end. Then the icing on the cake was the films final line, which just summed this film up beautifully.

I think everyone played their part well. Especially, Samara Weaving as the lead. She showed great physical work, felt believable as someone who could kick some ass and was easy to root for.
All the various protagonists did their job well. It was particularly great to not only see Andie McDowell in a film again, but as someone that is complete outside of the regular charcher arch she portrays.

The dialogue was noticeable funny and sharp. I was surprised that it ended up being more like a black comedy horror and the strength of the writing managed to make even the most gruesome moment seem hilarious. Whilst blood was being splattered everywhere and various body parts being decapitated, there was always a quip of some kind to somewhat deflect away from the heavy violence.

If I rated this film based on how much I had, easily a 10. However, I feel the simplicity of the story and surface level depth the characters had this film lacking depth and from a critical point of view, it's nothing then a crowd-pleasing popcorn film.
But sometimes, you get films that are just pure fun and that's always a good thing. It might not be anywhere near my top 10 list of the year. But it would certainly be one of the first films I would watch again.
It's got a great concept, they play around with it and the characters they create give them many memorable situations. The duration is a snappy 95 mins. So it gets out at the right time.
I would strongly recommend you check this out, especially with a group of people that are up for a laugh with a good amount of violence.

Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment