Sunday 13 October 2019

Review: Yesterday

The first things I heard of this was the concept. It sounded totally bonkers to me.
But then hearing it was being directed by Danny Boyle and written by Richard Curtis, it got me in.

Boyle is a strong director, and Curtis' writing in the past has made me discover some of my favourite rom-coms and worked for even the strangest of stories.

Everything about this was pretty solid and enjoyable from start to finish. It moves along like many solid and successful British comedies. The characters were introduced and developed well and were very easy to relate to. Also, I liked how they played around with the concept by expanding to what was being billed in the marketing.

Himesh Patel played the lead really well despite 99% of his back catalogue being television based. I always love seeing Lily James and her screen presence really enhanced my experience of seeing this and she supported Patel really well.
Joel Fry did a solid job as the comedic relief. It's not as strong as some of Richard Curtis' past scene-stealing supporting characters in the past, but there were enough laughs for Fry's character to be essential enough.
There are also a couple of celebrity cameos playing themselves and thankfully I felt their involvement never devalued the quality of the film.

I think it's only negative aspect for me was the ending. It wasn't bad. It just seemed to lose its way a bit, went a bit generic at times and felt unclear how it wanted to conclude the story.

Overall, I had a good time with this. Nothing about it was great, but everything about was solid at worst and my enjoyment level never really budged throughout the runtime.
There are enough laughs, British tropes that managed to still feel refreshing and have many feel-good moments which was helped by the choice of songs for the film.
I feel this will be a good crowd-pleaser for many demographics and could be a good way for the younger generation to discover classic rock 'n' roll.

Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment