Wednesday 11 March 2020

Review: Cats

My expectations for the film have changed dramatically since first hearing about it.

When I heard that Tom Hooper, the director of The King's Speech and Les Miserables would be direct this, I just knew I had to check this. My Oscar contender hype went up higher as the cast list was gradually being announced.

But then as soon as I saw the trailer, I wasn't sure. I certainly still had hope compared to the majority that was instantly quashing this project.

After seeing it, I can certainly find some positives. So I'm not totally on the bandwagon that is labeling this one of the worst films of the decade.

All I knew about this story was the clips I remember seeing of the iconic theatrical production during my childhood. I recall being intrigued by the choreography, costumes and the songs. But I never knew what it was about. While the plot may sound completely outlandish, I could find a story that I could get behind with.
But sadly the approach to the whole project just felt they missed the mark. The lack of a practical production just felt as if the magic was missing. Plus, the lack of commitment with certain aspects of the story for me felt as if they were hesitant and not going all out with this.
However, I have to agree with everyone that visual effects were off-putting. As I much respected their choice, the inconsistency on the scale of sets in line with the people/cats, and their faces not quite always in line with the actual bodies of their characters just made it a constant distraction.

Not even the power of the songs and the choreography could completely redeem it's problems. It did up to a point, as someone who has not heard the complete soundtrack, the songs on the whole were
very enjoyable.

There were some good performance in the middle of all of this. With Francesca Hayward having more of a dance background, I felt she did a good job as the lead. I can say the same for Robbie Fairchild who had some memorable moments in the opening act with Hayward.
As for singers involved, I feel Jason Derulo did a decent job. But I feel Taylor Swift had a scene-stealing scene by executing what was my favourite song in the film and pulling off a British accent extremely well.
The best from the legitimate actors for came from Ian McKellan. It's a small role that is only used for one song. But I think his physical aspect showed great commitment to the cause and it paid off well.
Jennifer Hudson did a great job in carrying the most iconic part of the film and continues to show how fantastic of a singer she is.

Sadly for James Corden and Rebel Wilson, they both looked to be in a totally different film and were just basically playing themselves. Whenever they were on screen, it took me right out of the film  and Wilson's introduction scene in particular was totally unforgivable.
I could kind of say the same with Idris Elba and Judi Dench. But I think they were just not the right casting choice.

While I feel this was a bit of a dud. I did find enough redeemable features that I could walk away from with great fondness to not make this a total waste of my time.
There is a good film in here. It seems that it needs a particular visionary director that will fully commit to the strangeness and make it accessible.
The songs are bulletproof, a more practical approach can make this more pleasing for the eyes and you can definitely add to the mythology with a strong script.

Sadly for Tom Hooper and his team, it just didn't work as an overall product. It is a shame. But I know how good Hooper has been and I will continue to be on the lookout for his next venture.

Rating: 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment