Wednesday 4 March 2020

Review: Jumanji: The Next Level

I'm so happy that we are in this situation with this franchise.

I still remember expecting its first sequel to be the absolute worst. The trailer looked like it went in the wrong direction and the over-blown comedy would fall flat.
But I was proved so wrong and 'Jumanji: Welcome To The Jungle' managed to be such a fun watch whilst also making it feel like a genuine sequel with nods and references to the 1995 original.

Now we have a third installment and everyone is back after the success of 2017. So all I wanted was another fun time at the cinema and a worthy addition to what is now a trilogy.

I feel I mainly got that in the end. The aftermath of Welcome To The Jungle was noticeable in our characters and I was fine with additions and twists they decided to make it as refreshing as possible.

Once the action got going, I was enjoying what I was seeing. Our returning cast were having to show their range and the task they were given was one that I was happy to get on board with.
However I think by the time the second half came round, they kind of lost their commitment and went back to their safe place even though it didn't look like they needed to in my view.
It did make sense with the story. But it did somewhat feel like a step back.
There was one moment at the very end that I'm happy I spotted. If you're big fans of the original. You might see a cool homage to the original for a certain character.

All the cast did a solid job as ever. Dwayne Johnson continues to be as charismatic as ever and charm his way through. Kevin Hart and Jack Black still show great chemistry with Johnson and the rest whilst executed the gags well throughout, and Karen Gillan is as strong as ever in her authenticity of her physical acting.
It was nice to see Awkwafina be added. I've really warmed to her acting over the past year or so and I'll be on the look out for her in any future projects.
As for the other additions, I feel Danny DeVito, Donald Glover and Rory McCann all added their touch to enhance the overall viewing experience rather well.

As mentioned before, the only negative aspect I had with it was showing signs of the novelty wearing thin in the second half. Some of the decisions made did partly detract my overall enjoyment. But thankfully, I still came off satisfied enough.

I had nothing but a good time, and that is all you need with a Jumanji film. I'm happy where this franchise is at this stage given that as a kid I felt the 1995 original and animated TV series was all we were going to get.
It moves along well, the action is fluid and entertaining, the performances and the gags all worked for me. This is recommended family viewing and a while it doesn't break ground within the franchise, it's still a worthy addition.

I must mention that there is a mid-credits scene that is basically a hint of where they could go next. To be honest, they made the only choice they could if they want to keep this franchise relevant.

Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment