Saturday 25 April 2020

My Top 10: Films Based Off A Video Game

Video games within the movie industry have had a rough history to say the least. For some people, they feel there are no good films that are based off video games.
I somewhat disagree. Yes, there are plenty that are not good, and some that are just pure trash. There are also the few exceptions that I feel are pretty decent features that do video games justice.

I may been the minority, but I would happily fight the corner of a few of these. I have seen 26 films that are based off video games. Below is my ranking for all of them, including a short review for each of my top 10.

Just missing out on my top 10, and getting honorable mentions is Tomb Raider and the 2021 version of Mortal Kombat. I never played the Tomb Raider games. But I certainly was aware of its popularity throughout 90's culture.
This particular re-boot is certainly a better attempt then the Angelina Jolie versions. The almost Indiana Jones sense of adventure is there to be enjoyed and Alicia Vikander gives us a good portrayal of the modern day Lara Croft. I look forward to the sequel.

As for 2021's Mortal Kombat, while it is an improvement on the 90's original, the story still has flaws and a lack of character development.
However, they make up for it in the violence, general fun vibe it gives off and a few scene stealing characters. I would happily watch this again.

My list is as follows:

31) Mortal Kombat: Annihilation
30) Street Fighter
29) Mortal Kombat (1995)
28) Resident Evil: Retribution
27) Moshi Monsters
26) Resident Evil: Afterlife
25) Resident Evil: Extinction
24) Resident Evil: Apocalypse
23) Max Payne
22) Silent Hill
21) Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle Of Life
20) Hitman: Agent 47
19) Need For Speed
18) Lara Croft: Tomb Raider
17) Resident Evil
16) Assassin's Creed
15) Doom
14) Pokemon: The First Movie
13) Uncharted
12) Tomb Raider
11) Mortal Kombat (2021)

10) The Angry Birds Movie - It may have been released a long while after the popularity surge of the video game. But it ended up being a solid family feature that will entertain people who have never even played it.

It might not break any new grounds. But it is perfectly fine story with workable gags and pleasing action.

9) Rampage - I bet fans of the video game never even expected a film adaptation to be even thought of, let alone created.

But anything with Dwayne Johnson in it, that project will be fulfilled.

It's surprisingly entertaining, mainly due to Johnson's charisma. It even did enough for me to accept the absurd parts of the story.

8) Prince Of Persia: The Sands Of Time - A perfectly fine and harmless fantasy adventure with enough old-fashioned swashbuckling action to make it a pleasing watch.

While I have heard of the video game, and can't see myself ever playing it. This is a nice alternative to explore its world.

7) Hitman - From someone who has never played the game, and therefore don't know the lore, I felt this was a solid action thriller.

Timothy Olyphant is a capable lead, the action is solid and any film can win me over with Olga Kurylenko involved.

6) The Super Mario Bros. Movie - The film that many have been waiting decades for finally got released.

While it lacks substance in its script and narrative, the amazing design it has as well as the fun vibe it gives off, there is enough passable entertainment to see the potential this has on being a successful franchise.

5) Super Mario Bros. - Yes, I get the hate and that it's not the Mario film we deserve. But I admire it's alternative live-action dystopian look and I still had fun with it.

Also, my nostalgia for it is too strong. I watched this loads of times as a kid.

It's got a solid cast, the production is pretty impressive and the vibe is vintage 90's fun. However, I'm still excited for that long-awaited Mario film that we expect from the video games.

4) Sonic The Hedgehog 2 - Despite its issues, the amount of crowd-pleasing fun makes this a solid watch in the end.

With Dr. Robotnik returning to Earth with a new ally, Sonic must confront his arch enemy once again. But with a new friend by his side.

3) Sonic The Hedgehog - After the much needed changes to the look of Sonic, it paid off for a fun and enjoyable feature.

The action is thrilling and they play with Sonic's abilities for the better. Plus, Jim Carrey steals the show as the evil Dr. Robotnik with vintage Carrey fun.

Also, the mid-credits scene makes me excited to see where they're going with this potential franchise.

2) Pokemon Detetice Pikachu - The premise sounded ridiculous to me. Especially, when this is a feature designed to begin a series of further installments.

It managed be a lot better then I ever expected. The mystery aspect gives it a refreshing edge to other family films, and there is a strong sense of fun. It also has content that will please hardcore and casuals fans as well as non-fans.

For many people, this is many peoples favourite of this particular list, and it's easy to see why.

1) Warcraft: The Beginning - Like a lot of others, I have never played a single minute of its games. But the little I knew of it, I could see a lot of potential with this.

While it might not quite have that epic spectacle, it certainly has a lot to be entertained by. The visual effects are dazzling, the score is great, there are rich characters and I love the world and lore that it introduces.

While the ending does leave it open for sequels. I sadly have a feeling this may be the only one we get.

No comments:

Post a Comment