Friday 10 April 2020

Review: Uncut Gems

It's not every day you hear a large amount of positive buzz over an upcoming film starring Adam Sandler.

I would say apart from the Hotel Transylvania films which are decent, the rest of his films for well over 10 years have not being that good to say the least.

Also with this not being billed as a comedy, many people including me were hoping for maybe a another moment in his career that would be similar to his performance in Punch Drunk Love. For so many people, that film showed the world that Sandler can be a great actor instead of making worthless comedies that are anything but funny.

I did go in with caution as I was hearing recent remarks from the general audience being a bit underwhelmed. But I'm happy to say that it was one of the most thrilling and captivating viewing experiences that had me on the edge from start to finish.

So much of it is thanks to Adam Sandler. While his character may not be the type of person you would hang around with and being constantly infuriated by, Sandler managed to make him totally engaging and made me constantly anxious throughout the duration. When you feel his predicament, you just want his character to succeed and then just stop and not take anymore risks. That same feeling of always being optimistic reminded of a recent underrated film called Mississippi Grind and with Ben Mendehlson's character.

He might not be likable, but Sandler's character manages to grab you tighter and tighter until you are at bursting point. By the time the final act came round, I don't recall coming up for air. I was just in a motionless state by the finale and didn't know want to do with myself by the time the credits rolled.
I must briefly mention the ending, as it is rare when a film makes me gasp out pretty loudly. This film managed to do it in a sad yet satisfying way.

There were a couple of breakthroughs that came out of nowhere from Julia Fox and Kevin Garnett. Fox really shone in the second half, fitted the tone really well and had solid support with Sandler.
As for Garnett, I was surprised as to how good he was. I loved him as a professional Basketball player, and now it turns out he can act. Yes he may be playing himself. But it felt convincing, engaging and I enjoyed his chemistry with Sandler.

I was happy to see Lakeith Stanfield in this, and he nicely added his talent into this story. As did Idina Menzel, who I was not expecting at all. It was something different for her, and her transition felt seamless.

From Josh and Benny Safdie, the same directors as 2017 indie favourite Good Time, it has the same sort of thrill ride. Also, the rampant electronic music from Daniel Lopatin is back, and once again it enhances the tension so so well.

I got such a rush after seeing this. I am so happy that the directors finally got their wish and acquire Sandler for the leading role to make the film a magical fully fledged piece of work. I could easily back on the saddle with this if I ever wanted to reignite that same energy.

It amazed me as to how they managed to keep my interest with a character that was just creating one disaster after another. I think as well as the performance, the frenetic rhythm and pacing of this movie was a key contributor. There were many scenes with people talking over themselves that gave me a sense of panic and frustration, which resulted in a lot of good anxiety that you can't help but want more of it.

I think whether you like this or not, this is certainly one of those films that needs to be experienced.

Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment