Tuesday 24 November 2020

Review: Andrey Tarkovsky. A Cinema Prayer

I can see why Russian director Andrei Tarkovsky is considered by many as one of the most influential directors in world cinema. But when watching his films, there were not many of his works that I was going nuts for.

Out of his 11 directed films, I have seen 7 of them and while I certainly appreciated the art and craft of all of them, only one stayed with me, and that was Ivan's Childhood.

So I was hoping this documentary might inspire me to check them out again.

With it being directed by his son Andrey, this documentary gives you a great insight into Tarkovsky's life, his childhood, what inspired him with his ideas and how he sees his work amongst other things.

It was great to see how his work evolved with each different project and hearing his thoughts in rare interviews of what he sees art as.

So while I did enjoy watching it as it certainly gave me a great detailed look into how Tarkovsky's thought and lived, I cannot see my views changing of his work. His style of story-telling just doesn't seem to fully work with me. But seeing this well made documentary made me appreciate his contribution to cinema a lot more.

If you're not interested in seeing any Tarkovsky film or don't feel inspired to watch them, then this documentary is great way of at least experiencing the man and giving newcomers to his work a great indicator if his style will suit your taste.

Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment