Monday 30 November 2020

Review: Mind The Gap

When I first saw the title of this documentary, I thought I had already seen this.

But it seemed I was getting confused with this and the Oscar nominated 2018 film documentary Minding The Gap, which is about how three strangers create a bond through their live of skateboarding.

Instead, we see stories from certain individuals about the slow downfall of democracy and ever-widening gap in the class system in certain countries from the western world.

Helped by the topical nature of the feature, it was an interesting watch. It covers thoughts that many people have including myself about how democracy has been lost in translation and evolved more into populism. It was interesting seeing points of view from other countries and how even some of them have intertwined with other countries.

With the added expert analysis thrown in during each segment, it did add a bit of depth to the feature which kept me engaged. It certainly enlightened me on events that I remember being in the news and only knowing a small amount of the situations within those countries.

So from an educational perspective, it was quite rewarding. I also felt they put their point across well and some of the footage really helped with the interviews. But having that structure does limit its style and therefore made it more like a TV programme then something made for the cinema.

Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment