Thursday 31 December 2020

Review: Mank

It's been six years since the last David Fincher film. The longest gap between any Fincher project since his debut in 1992.

Almost all of his films have become either cults favourites, timeless classics or major awards contenders.

With this latest feature covering how one of the greatest films ever made was written, cinephile's like myself would naturally be intrigued by something like this.

I think going into this appreciating or at least watching Citizen Kane will help as I cannot see this being marketable to the masses. So for me, there was a lot to like for me.

It is most certainly a well made film. It has that perfect mix of showing similar imagery to Citizen Kane whilst also having that Fincher touch. I also liked some of the nods to certain filming techniques that were used from the time period. From the cigarette burns, to the style of music by Trent Raznor and Atticus Ross, to the way it is edited at times. It felt very much of the 30's and 40's. There was even a drunk/drowsy sequence that copied the style of certain late 20's early 30's filming techniques which was nice to see.

The screenplay by Fincher's late father Jack is very well written. There's lot of strong back-and-forth sequences that Aaron Sorkin would be proof. It gives solid development to many characters to at least have one memorable moment on screen. It also covers certain stories that would intrigue film historians.

While there are several theories on certain aspects that the film covers, I think because it is executed in an effective and dramatic way, I don't think it mattered too much whether what they portray on screen is the cold hard facts as this is a drama rather than a documentary.

The performances were pretty good on the whole. Gary Oldman is great in the lead and I wouldn't be surprised if he has another year as an Oscar contender. Amanda Seyfried surprised me and had great moments in here and could also sneak a major awards push. Lily Collins fitted the role perfectly and had memorable chemistry with Oldman. Charles Dance was a nice surprise and had real presence whenever he was on screen.

It's biggest drawback is sadly the lack of emotional drive with the story. While the story was very interesting, I could not see myself wanting to watch it again straight away or anytime soon expect for maybe doing some analysis of the techniques involved.

That for me is where it will be seen by general audiences as slow, dull and boring which is entirely understandable.

It's gorgeously made and that is probably why I highly appreciate this film. But I would fit this under style over substance unfortunatly. I love how it looks, how it was made and the topics it cover and for that reason I have to give it an outstanding rating. But missing that impact with my emotions and not having the pacing that gives it steady flow makes more of a prestige film than a one for the masses.

I can see this being nominated for a lot of Oscars. But I feel unless you love the art of film-making, go to a media studies class or you love Citizen Kane, I can't see anyone else being interested or engaged by this.

Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment