Tuesday 23 July 2013

Requested Nostalgic Review: Paul

After the success of Shaun Of The Dead and Hot Fuzz. This was Simon Pegg and Nick Frost's opportunity to make a big American film without the aid of writer Edgar Wright.

The start however, is very promising and has the comedy element that almost had me thinking "Edgar Wright is definitely not the writer isn't he?". But as the story developed, I was confident that it wasn't. However I was still laughing on a regular basis. The style of comedy was very mainstream and some comedy sketches were even borderline dodgy on religious grounds. Thankfully, I'm not devotedly religious, so I could just take it as a joke.

Pegg and Frost was fantastic as usual. Their relationship on and off-screen is something very special we may never fully understand. They regularly hold films together and I can see them continuing that for the rest of their career. Kirsten Wiig was pretty solid as the love interest and Seth Rogan was the right choice to voice Paul and did his usual stuff that pleases the mainstream audience.

It is a lot of fun with a constant amount of laughs throughout. But with it being Pegg and Frost, I can see some people being disappointed as it does not have that British feel to it like their previous roles. For me, I sort of agree with that. It is clearly not as good or witty as Shaun or Fuzz, but it is a solid summer action-comedy flick with enough laughs to leave you smiling at the end. I will be surprised if this is their only film without Wright.

Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment