Saturday 20 July 2013

Review: The World's End


Like many people from my generation, I have grown up with the adventures of Simon Pegg, Nick Frost and writer Edgar Wright. I remember hearing lots of good things about Shaun Of The Dead (which I can't believe is nine years old). After watching it, I could not believe what I saw. It was something so new and brilliant, and I was so happy to see that it was all British.

Next was Hot Fuzz, and that somehow managed to keep the momentum going after Shaun Of The Dead. It was another amazing success that just kept expanding the fan-base even more. After a stint in America, Pegg, Frost and Wright were back for the final installment of 'The Three Flavored Cornetto Trilogy'. It is easily the weirdest name for a trilogy, but if you have seen it, you will know why it is called that.

The World's End really shows the relationship of these three British treasures. Despite being all grown up, they just want to re-live their younger days and do it all over again. The beginning really sets you in for what is about to happen, and it shows a great reflection on how much we now know about Pegg, Frost and Wright.
It doesn't suck you totally just yet, but there is still a consistent amount of laugh out loud moments throughout. As the epic pub crawl is in full swing, the momentum is slowly gaining and you are reminding yourself why you wanted to see third and final installment.

As we come to the climax, the film is definitely at its strong point and you are loving every minute of it as Pegg and Frost are at the peak of their powers. Paddy Considine contributed well with his character. Martin Freeman has featured in all of the Cornetto films and this one, he is given a lot of time to work with his character and he is an enjoyable addition. Eddie Marsan steals a few scenes which was nice to see. And finally, Rosamund Pike as the love interest gave us a nice mixture which is what Wright is so well known for doing. There was of course a lot of cameos. Some you usually see, and some new ones that were a nice surprise. But I won't mention them as I will like you to find out for yourself.

The big pluses is the usual stuff. The style of comedy, the whole Britishness of it and of course the running gags that develop so beautifully throughout. Despite liking it so much, I have never seen so many disappointing bits. The cinematography did not have the Shaun Of The Dead or Hot Fuzz feel about it. It felt like as if it was trying to be part of the mainstream audience, which is not what these films are about. One big disappointment was sadly, the ending. Just like Martin Freeman in the films, I was saying "WTF!". It felt completely out of sync with everything else, and it felt like I was watching a totally different film. I could see what they were trying to do, but I'm sorry, it just did not work for me.

Despite that, I felt it was a satisfying ending to the three flavored Cornetto trilogy and this will be remembered as one of the greatest British achievements in modern film history. I was very disappointed with the ending, but there was still enough content in there to make me smile and laugh a lot. There is still some Pegg and Frost magic in there, and there is of course many memorable quotes for all of us to use in everyday situations. But I'm afraid, it will ultimately go down as a disappointment.

Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment