Sunday 28 July 2013

Requested Nostalgic Review: Scott Pilgim vs The World

I only saw this about a month ago, but I do remember when it came out. There was a lot of love it, but in a cult loving kind of way.

The big target market seemed to be the teen girls, so I instantly thought I would probably think it will be stupid dumb rom-com blockbuster. After seeing it, it is a bit stupid, but everything else I was wrong about.

The first good thing to say about it, is the freshness of it. Writer Edgar Wright was the one big part of what made me watch this. After writing Shaun Of The Dead and Hot Fuzz, this had a lot to live up to. Then Wright manages to create something completely new. He creates great characters that have depth and make the whole experience really funny and cute at times.
Also, the biggest thing I love about this is its dedication to the vintage video games. The battle scenes were extremely entertaining, well presented and the star of the show for me. Every person Michael Cera's character faced did feel like you were watching an old Street Fighter game.

One thing you could definitely tell had Wright all over was the script. The style of comedy was very funny and witty that it just made you want to watch all of Wright's previous material all over again.

The only bad thing I am afraid was Michael Cera. Everything I see him in is this troubled teen who acts like a bitch that just irritates me to boiling point. But thankfully I did see something different in Cera in this one which did soften the blow of his presence, and that made me enjoy the film even more.

Despite that, I did enjoy it. It was nice to see Edgar Wright show that he can do things on his own. He created another cult favorite and I like that he found something in Michael Cera. I've never really liked him, but at least he was slightly different than in films like Superbad or Juno. There is bits of his old roles in there still, but at least the story covered it up enough for me to enjoy this film. I can see why people hate it, but that is the beauty of a cult classic. I managed to see the good parts of it and regret not seeing this sooner.

Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment