Monday 3 March 2014

Review: The Grand Budapest Hotel

First of all, I have never managed to see any film by Wes Anderson, until now. But I have been told to prepare for an over-the-top quirky comedy.

A few of his previous work will be on TV some time this week and after seeing his latest venture, I will definitely be eager to see Mr. Anderson's earlier works.

After seeing this, I can see why Anderson has a particular fan base. His original look at films is great to see. It will be hard to compare his work with anything else. Also, it seems a lot of famous actors admire his stories and how they are written as they apparently appear in a lot of his other feature films.

In this one, we have Ralph Fiennes, Edward Norton, Jude Law, Adrien Brody, Willem Dafoe, Jeff Goldlbum, Tilda Swinton, Harvey Keitel, Bill Murray, Owen Wilson, Saoirse Ronan and many more.
With Anderson's brilliant writing, everyone gets at least one moment in the spotlight, but it is Fiennes that heads this all-star cast. His character and appearance gives the whole film such a charm and the way he gives his one liners makes his performance even more mesmerizing.

If I was nit-picking then I would say some of the quirkiness felt like quirky for quirky sake. But every outrageous moment I just went with, because this was a world I had seen before. I really cannot wait to see what else Anderson has made.

Being introduced to Wes Anderson was a total joy. Seeing his imagination run wild gives me hope on the future of cinema. The Grand Budapest Hotel does have that vintage feel to it and it would not surprise me if Anderson was showing us his homage to classic cinema. After given it a lot of praise, I felt that its biggest positive was not taking it self too seriously, just having a great time and not bothered about going with the rules of straightforward narratives.

Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment