Saturday 1 March 2014

Review: Nebraska

Not exactly the type of film that would get me cuing outside my local multiplex. But since it is up for a few awards including Best Picture at the Oscars, I thought I would give it a viewing.

Directed by Alexander Payne, this seventh feature film is only the second for me by Payne. Despite the recent awards success of his last two projects The Descendents and Sideways, it is one of Payne's earlier works 'Election' that I have seen. It is a very enjoyable high-school comedy starring Matthew Broderick and Reese Witherspoon and I would highly recommend it.

Nebraska however does not carry the same tone as Election. This a lot more low key and the pacing is quite slow. However, that big difference still does not change my views on Payne's work.

Its stylishly shot in black and white, has a terrific style of acting and a has an interesting story set in a perfectly chosen location. For some of the film I felt left out, I was not involved in the story. I got what was happening, but felt as if I was not going a long for the ride. Thankfully, the majority of the film I felt quite enjoyable.
My biggest enjoyment was the style of comedy and the interesting actors you see along the way.

Lead actor Bruce Dern will probably be talked about the most. His performance is very engaging and the longer the film goes on, the more you engage with this character and want him to end up victorious in his mission. For me the star of the show was June Squibb. I had never seen her before apart in the amazing Meet Joe Black. Every time she is on screen, her character just takes over and you just smile every time she says something. A lot of the comedy moments involve her and I hope to see some reward in the major awards. Will Forte is also nice contribution to bounce off the leads.

The only big negative to talk about was the pacing in the first half. It took me longer to get sucked into this one. But that being said, I did by the end, and what an ending. I was in a cheery mood by the time the credits rolled. The final act is definitely it's strong point and it makes everything else before it a lot more meaningful.

Overall, there is a lot to like. The performances are great, the cinematography and choice of using black and white gives it a great look and mood to the whole experience. But sadly, it lacked something for me. That is not a major fault, I would still give it high praise and recommend it to any film fan.
For me personally, I would not give a Best Picture nomination, but definitely to the performances and some of the technical aspects.

Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment