Saturday 29 March 2014

Review: Muppets Most Wanted

I did not grow up with The Muppet Show, but I did with their films. With successes like The Muppets Take Manhattan, The Muppet Christmas Carol and Muppet Treasure Island I, like many, just fell in love with these brightly colored creatures.

With the success of their 2011 comeback hit, The Muppets are now touching many hearts of this current generation. Now they are back with their eighth feature film.

When I saw the trailer, it felt a bit too aimed for kids rather than the whole family. But with it being The Muppets, I kept faith in Jim Henson and his wonderful team. I knew Kermit and co. would not disappoint.

As soon as the opening song comes in, I just had a smile on my face from beginning to end. Every song throughout the rest of the film was pure Muppet magic. From a cheesy Broadway musical number to just a fun pop record, every tune is just as enjoyable as the next.

If you have seen the trailer, the plot is pretty basic to understand. So it gives us enough time to spot the many celebrity cameos, the clever references to older movies and the cheeky jokes for the parents.
Even with the simplistic story, it is played off very well and leads to a number of amusing set-pieces. Also, the pacing is top-notch to keep the kids entertained and it switches between the story lines at the right times.

As for the humans, the ratio between them and the Muppets I thought was nicely done. The humans are always there, but never stealing the limelight from any Muppet. The bit that delivered it perfectly, was the chemistry between Ty Burrell's character and Sam the Eagle who definitely stole the show.
With the rest of the cameo's, it is a brilliant game to find them as they are a lot, including some that really surprised me.

Outside of the cameo's, the main roles I felt were played very solidly. Ricky Gervais was quietly charming in his role and you can tell he is a fan-boy and that he wanted to make sure that he did not screw this up. Tina Fey's character was highly amusing for all ages and had great chemistry with Kermit The Frog.

I enjoyed this movie and laughed consistently throughout. It's fun and very silly but can get away with it in a way that only the Muppets can. It may not have the heart that their 2011 film had, but it still has the laughs and that same Muppet magic.

Also, one thing I was not expecting was a short film from Disney Pixar before the feature presentation. I will not say anymore in case I spoil it. But all I will say is, get there early to see this highly amusing animated short film.

Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment