Tuesday 15 March 2016

Nostalgic Review: Superman IV - The Quest For Peace

I am embarrassed to say that I remember loving this as a kid and watched it countless times.

Thankfully, my maturity has seen the error of my ways and I am now with the majority.

This is made by Cannon studio. The most famous studio for making a stupid amount of really bad films on an annual basis. I remember seeing a film documentary about them which was an interesting watch. They did have a bit to talk about this film and it was shocking to see how badly it was made.

Seeing this again brings it all back. The graphics for the opening credits are so amateur it is unbelievable. Not a very promising start.

So many of the scenes either felt pointless or made no sense. You can see that the budget was super low. The writing has no logic and the visual effects are poor.

I even noticed one moment that I remember watching as a kid that is NOT included in the DVD version. Apparently the studio cut it from any future releases. That being the only scene removed I hard find to believe. What about everything else?
It was basically a scene involving Superman saving a girl from a tornado and it happened just after Superman took on the main villain for the first time in the film.

There are so many lazy moments. The most notable one is the constant use of one Superman flying scene for any scene involving him flying to the rescue.

It ended up being so bad that Christopher Reeve initially did not want to do it. The only reason he did it was to do the story that he wanted. Despite getting his wish, you can see throughout that he does not want to be there. I felt sorry for Reeve, Gene Hackman, Margot Kidder and any of the other regulars that were involved in this pile of rubbish.

The continuity is beyond shocking. One moment a character looks to be on the verge on dying, then he's suddenly fine in the next scene without any explanation.
The more so called "scenes that needed Superman" became more excruciating the more times it happened.

I would have normally have given this a 3, or possibly a 4. But there is one moment in the final action set-piece that I had to massively marked down due to its level of stupidity and no reasonable person would have done that.

The only positives I got was the comedic moments between Reeve and Mariel Hemingway's character. It got laughs out of me in what was generally a film that made me angry. There were other moments that got the odd chuckle from me also.

Whilst not all departments have done a bad job making this. The negatives are so incredibly strong, that the good parts just can't cope with the amount of bad vibes that is make this drown down to the depths of being one of the worst films of all-time. This is a pure franchise killer, and it took 19 years before we saw our most famous superhero on the big screen again.

Rating: 2/10

No comments:

Post a Comment