Friday 11 March 2016

Review: The Witch

Who'd have thought that this year I would have already seen two horror films. A genre that does not usually appeal to me has suddenly got me interested, well in two at least.

Goodnight Mommy was the first one, which was a very interesting story with a twist that made me think about the film in a totally different way. Now, we have The Witch. Both had trailers that had my attention as they looked as if they would be something more than just a generic horror movie that would not interest me to pay money and see it on the big screen.

2016 has been billed as the year to discover the hidden gems if you want to find a good horror film, and I'm certainly doing that with some pleasing results.

Well, I can definitely add this to the list. While it does not feel like most horror films, this slow-burning, tense, thought-provoking and disturbing made me unnerved. What I think will win a lot of people over is the realism of it and how it relates well to the era that it is set in. The period felt so appropriate as it was a time where people were very particular about religion and the occult, especially in the location of New England. The paranoia of what portrays evil is so well done, and really makes you question and what is really going on. It is so accurate that even the characters talk in 'ye olde English'. Even though you might need to tune your hear to understand what is being said, you will get the general gist of it, and it is wonderfully delivered.

One great positive about this entertaining piece of work is the stellar acting. Anya Taylor-Joy was phenomenal as the lead. Her character was incredibly strong, really well developed and I was rooting for her throughout. I would definitely consider to be an early contender for an Oscar nomination. The rest of the main roles were terrific. Harvey Scrimshaw was as amazing as Taylor-Joy, and could quite possibly be part of the most intense scene in the film. Ralph Ineson's character was really well developed. His was probably the most human out of everyone. Kate Dickie was intense throughout and was perfectly cast for this role as the mother figure.

The only part of the film that could find problems with, was the final scene. This could be seen as the wacky part of the film. I was fine with it. But it is definitely opened up for interpretation.

It has been a while since I have praised a horror film that positively. It's lingering atmosphere is done really well from the very beginning. The acting is top-notch, you have no idea where this is going, it doesn't rely on cliches, the whole subtle nature of it I feel will make it stand-out and it even has moments of a fairy tale nature to it.
I was scared, gripped and would happily watch it again if I was given the opportunity. Director Robert Eggers has done a fantastic job in making the type of horror film that I have been wanting for some time.
If your type of horror films are ones that are scary but not jump-scary, then this will be the film for you.

Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment