Saturday 14 May 2016

Nostalgic Review: X-Men Origins: Wolverine

With the X-Men franchise being seen by many as the franchise that begun the superhero genre. They also were the first to do spin-off origin stories. In this one, we see how Logan became Wolverine.

Now I know universally this is seen as not that good. However, I thought it was pretty decent.

The first half gives us an interesting premise and introduces to mutants we have not seen before. As the film went on, it was developing well and I felt the final act was a good pay off.

I think the performances on a whole were decent. Hugh Jackman is as good as he alwways is Wolverine. Lieb Schreiber was pretty good and played the villain well as Victor Creed. Danny Huston was solid as Colonel William Stryker. However, Brian Cox will always be the best Stryker. Taylor Kitsch plays a character we have all been waiting for, Gambit. It might not have been the perfect resemblance to this popular mutant. But Kitsch certainly has its moments in the film that are a particular highlight of mine. I even thought Will.i.am had a nice minor role.

Once character that definitely has a lot of negativity was Ryan Reynolds' character of Wade Wilson. The comic book fans will know him as Deadpool. It was not Reynolds' performance that was the problem. It was how his character ended up. Now I know a lot of people feel the portrayal of Deadpool quite insulting, especially in the final act. However, I liked it. Everyone agrees that Ryan Reynolds was the right casting choice. But I felt his transformation at the end to be quite haunting even though it is not the Deadpool we know from the comics.

I do some negatives with it. As previously mentioned, the portrayal for Gambit was definitely not as good as it could have been. But thankfully, it was not bad. The majority of the negative is on the technical side. Most of the visual effects is either dated or ropy. It certainly look like the budget did not concentrate on the CGI. Also, the script could have been better.

I would say ignore the critics and general bad vibes and check it out yourself. The action scenes are pretty cool to watch, it connects into the franchise really well with lots of nice goodies to find throughout the film. There are some really good individual scenes including one centered on Dominic Monaghan's character.

I definitely had fun with this and I wish I had seen this on the big screen as I feel it would have been worth the price of admission.

I really like post-credits scene as well. Even though there won't be a sequel to this. It gives you something to be excited for.

Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment