Sunday 15 May 2016

Review: Sing Street

I had not seen much of Carney's work. I have only seen Once, and I completed loved it. After seeing this, you can definitely feel that music shows Carney's best work when it comes to film-making.

So naturally I was unsure whether to see this or not. But after hearing nothing but high praise for this when it got released at the Sundance Film Festival, I definitely was assured that I was ready for a good time at the movies.

Well, I most certainly did and it could well be one of the best of the year. It is not often a film can get me constantly hooked and laughing at regular intervals till the very end.
While the rest of the screening was laughing as much as I was, the pay-off was totally satisfying and ended a wonderful viewing experience.
It is a wonderful throwback to those teen movies of the 80's. When it was done right, coming-of-age films from that decade were some of the best from that time period.

All the performances were extremely good on the whole. Especially by the young fairly unknown actors. Ferdia Walsh-Peelo was tremendous as the main character. That great mix of charm and sympathy worked so well. Also, his on-screen relationship with Lucy Boynton's character was really nice to see. Jack Reynor was a real scene stealer as the main supportive role, and the rest of the young actors such as Ben Carolan, Mark McKenna, Percy Chamburuka, Conor Hamilton, Karl Rice and Ian Kenny just added to the enjoyment. It was a nice surprise to Don Wycherley play a minor role as I associate the most for his appearances in Father Ted as the dim-witted Father Cyril McDuff.

Despite all this high praise, the most impressive part of the film that I feel should get an Oscar nomination, was the soundtrack. Not only were all the many songs in the film catchy and memorable, they were original. That deserves some recognition in the form of awards. One of the songs played is also stunningly used in a scene that could well be my favourite scene of the year. We will have to wait and see if it ends up like that.

This is such a feel good film that I feel everyone needs to see. Its heart is in the right place, it is so so funny and has so much charm. It has that same feeling that you get with films like The Commitments, School Of Rock, Billy Elliott and The Full Monty. It is a lovely story told in such an inspiring way with  emotional results. I hope many creative teenagers get to see this and this should be there film. They need to experience this. I can definitely see some award nominations, especially at the BAFTA's.

Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment