Monday 31 October 2022

Review: Bros

Having more LGBTQ+ films within mainstream film releases continues to grow and be accepted more and more.

So much so that one even collected the honour of Best Picture at the Oscar a few years ago.

However, getting a major cinematic release is still yet to be achieved.
But this new one is the closest we have got to getting one.

It's natural to possibly expect critics or audience members to be sniffy on films with an LGBTQ+. But I think with an open mind, this particular should surprise quite a few.

Early on, you can feel the strength and confidence in its writing and avoidance of being overly preachy and relying on familiar tropes. The noticeable nods and references to 'When Harry Met Sally' pleased me, and the comparisons were earnt.

I like Billy Eichner's performance as well as his writing. His almost rapid-fire style of comedy was very effective. You do struggle to keep up with his gags at times. But on the whole, I really enjoyed what Eichner was produced. This could see him be part of bigger projects in the future.
I wasn't too hot on Luke McFarlane at first. But he warmed to me eventually and that is thanks to his chemistry with Eichner.
Guy Branum was given some great lines to work with and executed them perfectly. I will mention there were some great cameos where the majority of them have been a large influence and inspiration to the LGBTQ+ community in recent pop culture which was a nice touch.
In fact, the cast was largly LGBTQ+ and it was great seeing plenty of new faces be part of a project that is getting this big of a release.

I will admit there were moments, especially in the final act that fell into that soppy sentimental vibe that we've seen in so many rom coms. But there was enough of it for them to get away with for me as they earnt it with everything we had just seen beforehand.
To be honest, it played to its tropes rather well in the end.

So while I'm not the best person to see if it's seen as a true celebration of the LGBTQ+ community, I felt it was very rewarding and charming watch. It's definitely funnier and better written then most rom coms that have been released recently. I laughed a lot and fairly consistently throughout its duration. I felt it was well written and developed with a genuine romance between our two loads that I cared for it to succeed. It gave us fleshed out characters with a nice amount of content for our supporting cast to be given purpose. Plus like with all good rom coms, it balances its comedy and drama really well.

Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment