Thursday 13 February 2014

My Top 10: Most Anticipated Films Of 2014

After what has been another good year of films. 2014 has a lot of films to be excited about.

One common theme that has occurred in the last few years is franchises. There is another batch of various sequels, many coming from superheroes. With begin with Captain America: The Winter Soldier on March 28th, then The Amazing Spider-Man on April 18th, there is a re-boot of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on October 17th and the rest are in my top 10 most anticipated.
More sequels to get excited about are Muppets Most Wanted, 22 Jump Street, How To Train Your Dragon 2, The Inbetweeners Movie 2, Horrible Bosses 2 and Dumb And Dumber To. Again, there are others but they ended up in my top 10.

One sequel that I am questioning myself whether to attend is, Transformers: Age Of Extinction. Michael Bay's latest installment of the franchise could very well kill it off. I know there is a lot of hate for Bay. In my opinion, I don't mind the first 2 Transformers, the last one I thought was a bit of a mess. If it is gradually going down then I think this could be the end, especially when we do not have any of the main characters from the previous 3.

There are some interesting original films coming out. My first 2014 film will be on Valentine's Day to see The LEGO movie. When hearing about this, I did not think anything of it, but when I saw the trailer it looked incredibly funny. After that, I found out that the writers also did Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs and 21 Jump Street which I thought were hilarious.
2014 will also see a battle of biblical proportions as Darren Aronofsky's Noah does battle with Ridley Scott's Exodus.
Others to look out for are The Grand Budapest Hotel, Edge Of Tomorrow, a very interesting looking origins story from Sleeping Beauty called Maleficent, Jupiter Ascending, The Giver, Gone Girl, Fury, The Maze Runner and Foxcatcher plus many more that I have not seen the trailers for yet.

Here is my top 10 most anticipated films of 2014:

10) Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes - Out on 17th July, the success of Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes will surely have this summer blockbuster end up with a high box office.
The short trailer already had me excited, so I will not bother look at the other trailers that could ruin my viewing.


9) Guardians Of The Galaxy - The mid-credits scene that hinted this during Thor: The Dark World has Marvel beginning a new franchise in the superhero genre.
I know very little about this group, but after seeing pictures and the leaked comic-con trailer, this looks it could be a lot of fun but in a bonkers way, or complete nonsense and rubbish.
We'll find out on August 1st.

8) The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1 - There was continued success for Catching Fire after the first Hunger Games, part 1 of this final part will make or break the franchise.
I have heard the final book is a bit of a disappointment, so it will be interesting to see what the story was that ended The Hunger Games.

7) The Raid 2 - Director Gareth Evans love for martial arts was clear to see in 2011 after the success of The Raid.

Now, this Indonesian film has created a sequel that looks to have cranked up more than a few notches.
6) Sin City: A Dame To Kill For - Like myself, many many people loved Robert Rodriguez's portrayal of Frank Miller's graphic novel.

Mainly for it's comic-book-esque presentation and film-noir feel to it, I am super-excited to see this sequel which has been pushed forward numerous times.



5) Transcendence - After being Christopher Nolan's cinematographer, Wally Pfister is directing his first film.

With a stellar cast and a very Nolan plot, this is surely going to be an instant success on April 25th.


4) X-Men: Days Of Future Past - After an amazing re-boot in 2011 with X-Men: First Class, the post-credits scene in Wolverine got me jumping out of my seat in excitement.

Probably my favorite trailer of 2014 so far, this could be the hit of the summer.




3) Godzilla - After enjoying Monsters in 2010, director Gareth Edwards is re-booting the classic monster.
After seeing the amazing trailer, I think Edwards could continue to reach new places within the monster genre.
I hope this ends up being high up in my top 10 by the end of 2014.

2) The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies - The climax we have been waiting for, but secretly do not want as this will be the last time we see Middle Earth on the big screen.

Everyone has loved Lord Of The Rings and parts one and two of The Hobbit, this is surely going to be a huge success at the box office.

1) Interstellar - Christopher Nolan's latest creation has me wanting to go without seeing anything about it.

There is a short trailer out there and already this could be epic. The way Nolan is going with his films, we could be seeing another Gravity in terms of the success and reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment