Friday 28 February 2014

Review: Her

The first time I heard about this film was midway through 2013 where it won a lot early awards in Hollywood and was seen as one of the early front-runners to be nominated for Best Picture.

It is directed by Spike Jonze who I do not know a lot of. I have only ever seen one of his three previous feature films, Adaptation which starred Nicholas Cage. I thought some of the ideas were ambitious, but overall I just thought it was o.k. and not all of the ideas worked for me. The other feature films he has done are Where The Wild Things Are, which did intrigue me when it was released but I have never got round to it. His most famous creation is the 1999 hit Being John Malkovich. Sadly I have not managed to see it, but I do plan to. Even more so after seeing this little beauty.

When I saw the trailer and heard about the ideas involved in Her, I was instantly psyched up for this potential winner at the major awards.

The first 30 minutes really sucked me in and I instantly got what the director is trying to achieve with this feature. I was loving the ideas in this world the director has created and it really opened up my eyes as this is how finding love could turn into and even how video games could be played in the next decade or so.

As the film went on, I was loving this beautifully shot modern love story. Even during one extremely strange moment that is quite awkward to witness, it does not move away from its motives. Then by the time it ended, I was just impressed with everything the cast and crew have achieved.

By far the best thing about it, is the screenplay. The writing really makes this film come alive and you just want it to keep going. It will make you happy, laugh, smile, become sad and even be in tears. A lot of the conversations in the film will really get you thinking about life, living and the what the future is on course to be doing to us.

Another great positive, is the cinematography. If you liked how films like Drive, Lost In Translation and Skyfall were shot then you will love what Her has to offer. As our main character goes about his daily life, the colors and atmosphere throughout the film is great to watch and it really amplifies everything else within the film.

The only actors that are worth commenting on are our two leads, Joaquin Phoenix and Scarlet Johansson. From the moment they first meet, their on-screen chemistry instantly works and you just do not want them to stop. Some award nominations could well be in order, including Johansson, who make history. Once you have seen them, you will understand why her performance, if nominated, could be history in the making.

First and foremost, it is a terrific modern love story and gives us a great indication of how romance could evolve to in the near future. Jonze has given us an odd look at his vision of the future, and when I mean future I'm guessing in the next 10 years or so. It may not win a lot of awards, but one that it is likely to get is Best Original Screenplay. The creativity and the way they presented it on screen is surely worth talking about and giving awards to.

One film that it instantly reminded me of, is Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind. That is also what I think to be the best romance film of all-time, so you could probably tell how much I liked Her. Definitely a contender for my top 10 of 2013.

Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment