Friday 14 February 2014

Review: The LEGO Movie

When you think of a movie being called 'The LEGO Movie', it just does not seem that appealing, except for kids.
But when I saw the trailer, it did amuse me and excite me that this could be good.

What really hooked me was that the directors were Phil Lord and Christopher Miller. Their directorial roles in Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs and 21 Jump Street both surprised me because I did not feel I would enjoy as much as I did in the end. Their style of comedy and pace of the story seems to work for me, and from what I can see many others.

It should have been awful. It should have been a huge product placement. But the instant humor, amazing visuals and heart of the film shows that there is none of that. It is great for fans and non-fans of LEGO. There is great 80's nostalgia and huge amounts of references to different generations of Lego throughout which can be a great observation game.
It shows how the toy has brought families together and how your imagination and the joyous feeling of play-time.

The big positives are the comedy. It's is vintage Lord and Miller. The jokes are smart and witty and a lot of the gags are for the kids to laugh along with that the adults can also relate to. But also, there a few hidden ones for just for the older generation.
The presentation of the film has really stumped people. I think it's a perfect blend of stop-motion and CGI. It's beautifully mixed together and never ruins the feel of the movie. The style of comedy and animation is very Wallace & Gromit and that never fails.

There are not any negatives that are worth mentioning, so I will just mention more positives. There is so much for the hardcore LEGO fans. It pays homage to its vintage collections, its latest and even takes a dig and its not so successful ones. Finally, it also has a very catchy song that will constantly remind you of how good this film is for a long time after seeing it at the cinema.

Once again, Lord and Miller have surprised me and a lot of others for a third time. On paper it sounds a bit silly, but when you see it you actually find its charm, its heart and you just love it. It is completely bonkers, but it works within the physics of the universe. Then the clever and genius ending gives everything else more of a purpose and it is the perfect homage to the toy that will never leave us. Everything is awesome!

Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment