Thursday 21 July 2016

Nostalgic Review: The BFG (1989)

It is always a bit of a nice feeling to review a film that is as old as me. I'm sure others feel the same way. It is strange the films that were released in the same year when you were born.

As for this particular one. I was surprised to see this was released in 1989. I thought it would have been slightly earlier judging by the animation. But considering this went straight to TV originally. That would make more sense.

The hand-drawn animation is great to look at, and the images it creates is that perfect mix of a bit too scary for kids and yet right for kids. It is certainly on of those films that would not have been made now. But I think it is these films that we need to show kids. Kids being scared I think should be an essential part of their childhood, and I think some kids will lose that feeling as a lot are being far too politically correct and safe these days.

Some scenes are obviously a bit dated. But thankfully, it's only a small amount of the film that feels like that. The final act which was always my scariest part of the film still delivers for me and ended up being a pretty satisfying watch.

I keep forgetting that David Jason voice the BFG, and the performance is a really strong one. The rest of the performances are good all-round.

The parts that hold up well the most is probably the soundtrack and the general scariness of it. The score still sounds pretty cool, spooky, romping and mysterious. A part of me will be hoping Spielberg's version to have a similar score. As for the songs, it will be interesting to see if those are brought back.
One thing I am really hoping for is for the scariness of it to remain in the re-make. This version still scared me and the tension remains throughout.

It might be my nostalgia winning me over. But I still had a great time re-watching this. Yes some bits feel that it was of its time. But the story was interesting, there is great imagination, the characters are well performed and great to watch and with every great fantasy story, there are a solid amount of scares.

Despite being excited about the re-make, I am now unsure if it will be a success as some part of the story might not transcend well to modern audiences. But I am confident in director Steven Spielberg in giving us another romping adventure that only he conjure up.

Rating 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment