Friday 29 July 2016

Review: Finding Dory

Any release of a new Pixar film should be treated with respect, have high expectations of and always has a chance of being one of the best films of the year.

This year we have a sequel to the highly beloved Finding Nemo, in the form of Finding Dory. The smash hit from 2003 is loved in many households all over the world. Amazing animation, such memorable characters and a thrilling story that never gets old.

Outside of the Toy Story franchise, Pixar have not quite made a sequel that can be as good as its original. Also, you have a feeling in the back of your mind whether they are just milking the profits, or if there really is a story to be told. With that in mind, the nerves can kick in. Especially with a film that has been propped on a pedestal of timeless classics. However, a film that can be that successful can always be able to make another good one.

Well I can say there is a story, and it is a surprisingly good one. When the trailer certainly hinted at a re-hash of the original story. The film itself definitely stands alone as its own thing.

You instantly feel great to be back under the sea again with these lovable characters. Whilst that is in motion, you begin to embark on a new adventure that is being executed quite well.
One thing that I am glad that I was not, was bored. It moves at a fast pace that I was not expecting. However, there was one part in the final act I could have done without or could have been executed better. But apart from that, the pacing and structure was much better and was a nice surprise.

There are some mildly distressing scenes that I was not expecting and I can see some really young kids being a bit scared by them. But I am personally fine with that, as I feel some kids need to experience some sort of level of being scared or distressed when seeing a film.

The parts that I found most interesting was how it portrays people with dementia and how people react with people with dementia really well. The way they resolve that is really funny, smart, clever and heart-felt and I hope others can see what I saw in that execution.
It also portrays life in an aquarium as a marine creature really interestingly. The shoe is on the other foot and it really makes us think twice about how we see animals in zoos/aquariums.

Ellen DeGeneres was fantastic as Dory. I was unsure if they could make her a lead character that can hold the film. Also, I was nervous that her gimmick of having always forgetting things was going to be annoying and not make her character compelling. But I was proved wrong, and I was rooting and caring for Dory the whole way through.
Albert Brooks and Hayden Rolence as Marlin and Nemo were a good support and definitely never felt that were trying to be the stars of the film. So props to the director and his team for having faith in having Dory as the main character.
Ed O'Neill was a great support as Hank. He definitely gave us a memorable new character. As did Kaitlin Olson and Ty Burrell as Destiny and Bailey.

A couple of the characters looked a bit too cartoony in terms of their design. But on the whole the design of the creatures was pretty much as good as the first one.

As with all Pixar films, there is that perfect amount for people of all ages to enjoy. There's some for the kids, for adults and for both. There is a solid amount of laughs. It had adventure, excitement and that heart-warming feeling.
I have always respected Pixar in their intelligent story-telling and it never feels that it has to down-grade themselves to make kids understand.

The only flaw I would give it is that the story does not have as much of an emotional impact like Finding Nemo or Pixar's other big successes did. I know it is a tough ask to be as successful. So with that being said, it still remains a top film to go and see with everyone and anyone.

With a part of me not being that interested in wanting to know the origins of Dory at the start. The film manages to gradually nudge you in, and eventually I was invested and I really wanted to know how it all happened. That alone shows how good this film is.

I must mention two other things. There is as always a short before the film. Pixar and Disney have been doing that for a while. This one was so sweet and lovely and I hope its gets noticed in the Oscars.
Also, I was not expecting was the post-credits scene. I managed to predict one half of it. However, the other half of the scene was a really nice surprise and made me laugh out loud. So it is definitely worth getting there early and staying to the VERY end.

Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment