Friday 15 July 2016

Review: Keanu

Comedy is one of the genres that I rarely pay good money to see at the cinema. However, this particular feature starring two actors that I have heard of interested me enough to go and see it.

Keegan-Michael Key and Jordan Peele a.k.a Key and Peele have made there fame in America and nowhere else. From the little I have seen of them, they seem quite funny. However, it was more the story that I wanted to know about and the trailer gave me enough intrigue to see this on the big screen.

For someone who has never seen nor heard of this duo, I thought it was a good watch. The main thing I noticed was how knowledgeable on movies Key and Peele are as there were nice reference throughout. Also, it reminded me of those 90's action comedies that we either don't see often, or are not done well these days.

I like how Key and Peele worked together. I would probably say there are the adult version of Kenan & Kel. If you don't know who they are, then you were brought up in the wrong generation. It is not often that people getting popularity via television make a good movie. Most of the time these types of films feel like one long TV episode. However, this felt like a proper movie. It had a well-rounded story with dome decent characters, made me laugh a lot and had some nice surprises.

It is surprisingly well written, and I think it is its strongest positive. They poke fun at racial stereotypes and manage to do it in a way that is not offensive, which these days takes real skill. I will certainly look into more of their stuff from their American sketch show.

Outside of Key and Peele, the performances were pretty solid overall. I think Method Man as one of the villains was better then I expected, and it was great to see Nia Long make an appearance, just for my Fresh Prince Of Bel Air nostalgia. Also, I cannot forget to mention the super super cute kitten used as the character of Keanu.

Not many negatives to speak of. The final act is go a bit out of tone. But I felt they deserved to go there as the build-up was well executed. Also when you break it down, there are lots of sub-plots that don't get settled and leaves a lot of open doors. However, they do hint at one in the post-credits scene.

While it may not be the impressive, immersive or challenging watch in the world, I certainly had a good time. I really Key and Peele do more as I can see them be really good at it. It is certainly smarter then it looks, it is funny, I laughed a fair amount and it is heart-warming.

It is definitely the type of film you should see with friends and have fun with. It is a shame this is only getting a limited release over here, due to lack of knowledge of this comedic duo. Be sure to find this on DVD if you are unable to see this in cinemas.

Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment